Pre-Order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanxslabaugh, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

Do you think we will be allowed to pre-order?

I know that we will most likely not but do you think they should?

2. mcfcbird macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've noticed that a lot of 'pre-order' G3 iPhones are being offered on US Ebay. How will that work do you think, or are they all scams?

3. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

They could possibly be scams but they could possibly not be scams.
    I wouldn't risk it though.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it has been said that you will not be able to buy the phone online at all, and you have to activate it in the store

I can't wait to see that nightmare unfold on july 11th when you have 500 people in line at the 5th ave store and it takes 10 minutes to activate every single phone

boy at&t really figured out a great way to completely screw up a launch

5. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

yea but don't you think they could have made it a little bit better if a certain amount of people were able to pre-order the iPhone that just casually walk in when it goes on sale and they pre-order people can jump in line?

6. Jstick macrumors member

that should help :)

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

you have a better idea on how to protect your assets ? If your a business owner and you just invested $200 per equipment hoping to recoup that amount from your customer with a 2 year contract, how would you go about insuring your investment doesn't come empty handed.

Instead of making a blanket statement, come up with a better solution instead of whining about it !

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I have a feeling I'll be roaming around Fair Oaks for an afternoon.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The pre-order is not on my agenda. I pre-ordered a movie once, and forgot to pick it up. But I'm certain that I'll wait in line, while surfing the net, making calls and checking out the latest youtube on my v1 iPhone. That'll be the biggest difference from last year's release. :cool:

10. punitnaker macrumors regular

I totally agree with you, but I really did like the whole iTunes activation. I thought it was innovative and far easier for the end user and the store as a whole.

My solution would have been to pay full price (if subsidy is $200, then $399 for the 8GB) and then upon activation and signing of a contract, you get an automatic refund onto your account/credit card.

That way, unlockers pay a high premium at no loss to the carrier and carriers can attract customers to sign a 2 year contract.

Slightly different in the UK anyway. I'm a v1.0 owner with an official O2 contract. I'll be receiving a free iPhone 3G but I can only order online. So I'm a bit upset that I can't camp out on iDay 2.0. But I might anyway to get my Dad's phone! :D

11. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I would love the idea of just activating the phone when I get home via iTunes. If there is a better way of activating the phone without having to wait in line, I'm all for it.

12. ibglowin macrumors regular

From what i've read here and elsewhere, the Apple store will allow for itunes activation at home. You will sign a 2 year agreement with AT&T with a $200 early cancelation fee and you can walk out with an un-activated iphone that you have 30 days to activate.

13. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Read this existing O2 iPhone customers :p

Basically it's implying you buy online, no credit check and activation at home via iTunes.

14. twist2b macrumors regular

I am sure this deal of having to be there to activate will only last so long, just wait maybe a month after launch! I prefer a hacked version, SO I will order one (brand new) online. I am sure other stores online will be selling them soon!

15. guitarguy09 macrumors member

Let's hope this is the case, as it makes the most sense.