Pre-ordered engraved Touch, thoughts on removing engraving?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mhaddy, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Like many of you, I pre-ordered my Touch at the Apple Store but I decided to get it engraved (a first for my Ipods). However, because you can't return an engraved product, all of this chatter of bad screens has me a little worried. If Apple deems that "nothing is wrong" with the screens, then I don't even have the option of exchanging it with another Touch. What are your thoughts on canceling the engraving for a stock Touch and something that can be returned/exchanged in the event that it needs to be? Thanks!

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Honestly I think engraving is a bad idea for a number of reasons. The first is that you can't get it exchanged, the second is that it takes longer to ship and the third is that is lowers the resale value.

There's a fourth reason but it's subject to opinion, and that is it's quite tacky.

With these reports of the bad screens, I would definately try to cancel the engraving if it's possible.

3. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

If you want a great engraving, I would suggest a screen protector and writing with a permanent marker on it, there is a personal engraving, and it can be changed too! It can even be glow in the dark "woooh". But honestly, the only good thing I can find out of engraving is if it gets lost, but there are other ways to find out whose is whose, like leaving a song on there that is actually a recording that tells who the ipod belongs to, or you can leave a note that says who it belongs to. And is good for a personal touch, but other than that, I don't see why some people get engraving (is a great gift idea though), but it's pretty much saying, now that I have it, I can't return it, almost no matter what goes wrong with it (unless its catastrophic, a few off colors isn't catastrophic)

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

I'm in the same situation and am thinking it would be the wisest decision, but I'm leaving the engraving on and taking the gamble.

Reports are coming out now that Apple stores are refusing to replace them for the dodgy screen issue anyway.

Edit: So now they are replacing them. An hour is a long time in the technology business! ;)

5. wonginator1221 macrumors newbie

Well... If you wait a few week, i'm sure ifixit.com will have a few backings without engravings on it that you can swap out on your touch.

6. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Thanks for your responses everyone, I've canceled the engraved order and re-ordered a standard one. Good call.

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Why anyone would get anything engraved is far, far beyond my understanding. I guess some people just like seeing their names on shiny things?

8. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Some people like personalization, I don't see anything wrong with that. In my case, the engraved touch was going to be a birthday gift for my girlfriend, but I guess that would be beyond your understanding as well. :rolleyes:

9. ps49556n macrumors regular

Well said.... especially the bit about it being tacky.....

10. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Once I've received it and am happy it's all functioning fine I might get a cool graphic engraved onto the back using a laser etcher. Something like this:

[​IMG]

But one of my own designs.

11. TheMotif macrumors member

Haha... dope.

12. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

If the ipod is defective or broken, they will have to exchange it for a right one even if it is engraved.

13. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Touche! I do have a girlfriend though. Nice gift idea. Anyway I didn't mean to come off as snooty... but I know I do sometimes. Enjoy the touch (get the joke? iPod touch... gift for girlfriend... ahh nevermind)