Pre-Ordered iPhone using 2 year upgrade - now I want to wait in line.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simgar988, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I preordered for delivery my 6s+ and sadly won't get it until mid October. I've decided to just get up early and get one from the apple store on launch day. HOWEVER, I do not want to cancel my preorder until I have the 6s+ on launch day just incase something goes wrong. Can I walk in and buy under my two year contract and then cancel my online order later?

How would I go about this?

Thank you

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

No, you would have to cancel the online order first to restore your upgrade.

3. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Customers with a two-year agreement must purchase through AT&T.

4. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You can walk into an AT&T store.

5. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Which would be purchasing through AT&T.

6. duaneu, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

duaneu macrumors 6502a

OP says he has Verizon, not AT&T.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you'd be better off waiting. I actually cancelled my AT&T order and went for the Apple iPhone upgrade program. Some people think I'm crazy. To each his own :)

8. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Verizon actually

9. smarks90 macrumors regular

So I currently have a preorder placed through Apple.com using an AT&T NEXT upgrade (delivery mid-October). I am not planning to cancel it until I have a 6s+ in my hand there. I changed my mind a couple times and canceled one model and reordered another. each time it was only a minute or two for things to clear out in Apple's system so that my line was seen as "eligible" for a NEXT upgrade again. I'm hoping they hand out tickets for the model/color/size you want and then once I have that I will cancel my NEXT-preordered phone. I'd imagine a similar situation would apply in your case. as long as you're able to do a 2-year upgrade in the Apple store. I've been AT&T forever so I haven't paid attention to what you can and can't do on other carriers.

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

If you do wait, start the day before. Last year I though about waiting when my delivery was in the air and the day before there were lines starting at 3pm

11. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

this answer is very helpful.. once i have my "placeholder" ticket right before opening I will get on my phone and cancel.

one last question, how many iPhones can I buy. I have a wealthy friend that knows I'm standing in line and wants me to buy him one and she will give me 100$. She wants 128gb rose gold 6s+, which I'm assuming will be on tight quantities. Do I have to get a carrier specific phone or can I get any for her?

12. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

When I stood in line a few years ago, I remember that they allowed one phone per actual human being per line.

13. smarks90 macrumors regular