Pre-Ordered on Apple but didnt want to!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 9, 2009.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I just preorder to pick up my phone at the Apple Store near me. I didnt want to complete the process I just want to see how much i was going to be charged for tax. The order completed without any pricing it just said go to the apple store to complete your process. Is there a way to cancel this? Will i be charged for not showing up?

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

You don't know your state's sales tax to figure it out on your own?

399.00 or whatever price you qualify for is
    x .__ insert your states sales tax

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Easy, just call them up. I just called them to verify my pre-order and they had my name and the phone I pre-ordered. I'm sure you can just tell them you changed your mine, you haven't signed **** so you are not obligated to actually buy it at this point.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's not that simple. Some states charge tax on the amount you pay, some states charge tax on the full unsubsidized amount (so on $599 or $699).

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

BS.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've spoken here to people from states that work one way and to other who work the other way.

So on the one hand I have their stories to prove the point. On the other hand, I have your post saying "BS."

Hate to say it, but at the moment I still trust all those other people over you.

Oh, and OP - On the Apple site it says that if you don't pick it up by close of business on the 19th, the phone goes back into general stock. That sure sounds to me like you won't be charged anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

BS? Go read the pre-order thread. Some people are charged $20 tax others are charged over $60. Same thing happened with the 3G. It's a state-by-state law. It's not BS. It's the same thing that happens with coupons and instant rebates. If you have a coupon for $500 off a $1000 item, some states make you pay the tax on the full $1000.

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I'm sorry, but it is that simple, Yes, every state has different tax rates, etc, but you can still figure it out if you know the sales tax for your city, state.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I was charged around $50, which is 25% of $199 — but it's about 8.25% of $599, which is what California sales tax is. Ridiculous way to do it, but those numbers make sense that way.

10. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I no the sales tax for the state I live in (ohio) but wanted to no if I was being charged for the subsidized phone or unsubsidized phone.

11. mak10 macrumors regular

I started going through the Apple pre-order screens and got to the screen where you pick what store you want to pick it up at then the site errored out.... 5 minutes later I got an email saying thanks and my iPhone would be ready to pick up at the store I requested. Only problem is I never selected a store nor did I select a phone haha. Oh well, I'm just going to press my luck and go in on Friday the 19th and hope they have some available... I don't really feel like pre-ordering when the small print says it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a phone (at least Apple's pre-order, not sure about at&t)

12. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

If you didn't want to order it, CANCEL it! log into your account, and cancel it...Apple makes it much easier to cancel then to order. :D

13. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesnt show up in my account because I didnt buy anything. Unless im missing something there is no way to view I pre ordered anything.

14. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

When in doubt, always figure to pay tax on the unsubsidized price and as far I know you're always charged tax on the unsub'd price (correct me if I'm wrong) because if you cancel your contract the state misses out on the extra tax revenue that would have been gained from paying full price. (i.e., you don't pay tax on the cancelation fee so states charge the tax upfront)

It's sneaky, but legal.

15. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

then how come some people I saw on here were only paying 15-20 dollars tax and other were paying 60?

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Read above.

Also, pre-registering for store pickup doesn't obligate you to anything. You can just not pick it up.

17. vpcirc macrumors newbie

ATT doesn't have to pass on the tax they choose to

Yes, in many states Att and Apple are required to charge tax on the full price of the phone. The law does not, however, require them to pass that cost on to the customer. In the case of ATT, they make that back in the first month of service. If you want to avoid this absurd practice, buy it from Wal-Mart, they charged me tax on the discounted price, not the full price. This practice was started when Cingular originally purchased ATT several years ago. There are several pending suits against them since they do not disclose this information until after you have signed and been charged. They don't tell you up front, as many would buy the phone from a 3rd party vendor and avoid it. Hopefully the exclusivity agreements will expire, and there will be more 3rd party vendors other than Wal-Mart and choices in carriers. But then again, Apple has always been very controlling, that's why they lost the original pc-mac war, even with a superior product.