Pre-ordered Verizon iPad......now thhinking about AT&T....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ewo1992, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

I pre-ordered the verizon iPad thinking that I go camping once a month or every month and would get verizon because it was the larger coverage map. But then I was thinking that the extra 1g for 30 on ATT would be nice too. How much bigger is verizons map? I looked at them online and it's kinda hard to tell the differance. Do you think verizon will bumb the 2g plan up to 3g for the same price sometime inthe near future?

2. bowlman23 macrumors regular

Doubtful, but keep in mind that you also get tethering included plus much better overall coverage.

3. aperry macrumors 6502a

Going out in the wilderness with AT&T.....scary!

4. ewo1992, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

well i am in an RV and its not like hiking into the middle of now where, but places like national forests, and state and national parks, places like that.

----------

Yes, but 1gb more seems like a lot more data for the money. Does verizon that much more coverage? I know I have verizon for my regular non smart phone and get coverage a lot more places than people I am with that have att. My house seems to be in a dead zone for coverage for most carriers but verizon works fine. Im not worried about this because I'll have wifi there though.

Also im a pilot and will be geting some of my weather breifings and other things from the iPad, at some small middle of no where airports im thinking att might not have coverage. Its not that big of a deal because there are always other ways of getting that info.

5. Digidesign macrumors 6502

6. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

I don't know how often I will actually be by a hot spot though

7. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

Is verizons 3g coverage much larger? When I am using the iPad i will most likley be out side of the city.

8. dread macrumors 6502a

haha this is a joke, right? The OP asked about using his iPad in national parks not coffee shops. Verizon has a lot more coverage than AT&T. Do you actually need more than 2 gb of data? Unless you are streaming movies this is plenty of data for most. I bet you will be on AT&T's slow edge network if they even have any coverage at all in the parks, in which case it would take forever to go through 3 gb of data.

9. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

It would be nice to maybe stream a netflix once out there but without a unlimited data I wouldn't want to just blow through all of it with just one ortwo movies.

10. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Typically AT&T false adverting and stretching of the truth to con the consumer.

What the map fails to illustrate that you basically have a 50 ft radius max at each point of wifi. You'd think 1/3 the country has wifi based on that map.

11. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Why do you need an iPad for camping??? Isn't the point to get away from technology? In any case, if you're out camping, getting coverage may be a little tough depending on where you go. I linked the coverage maps for 3G service. If you're out camping, don't expect to get 4G. You'll most likely have 3G service unless you're in a remote area. You'll see with Verizon you will have a high density 4G coverage when you are in a metropolitan area. Once you leave that area, you will be on EVDO. With AT&T, you'll have 4G only in areas that are shaded dark blue. To tell you the truth, both networks are about the same in metropolitan coverage except Verizon tends to have higher reliability. Once you're out of the metropolitan areas, you normally get 3G and even further out, you drop down to EDGE which is rare if you're driving but if you're camping, wood is not the best material for wireless signal to go through.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

12. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

With those maps it looks like ATT has the better coverage.

No not for me. And I have an RV so I can't go completely in the middle of no where. Its for getting away from work, school and to have fun, ride dirt bikes, go off roading, go boating, relax, and have fun. I know I won't have 4g, I was wondering about 3g.

13. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Ah okie cool. I'm still thinking of "old school" camping. 3G coverage should be fine as long as you aren't too far out there. If you're really concerned about having a connection while you're traveling, you might want a MiWi on the RV so you can have an active WiFi hotspot no matter where you are.

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

If you're getting your preorder tomorrow or next week I'll buy your ipad off you if it's a black, 32 GB Verizon iPad... :D

15. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

It's black 64 GB iPad verizon

16. noles200 macrumors member

I did the exact opposite. I pre-ordered the AT&T 32GB and had second thoughts so I went back to pre-order the VZW 32GB version. Only problem is that by the time I ordered the VZW version it said it wasn't shipping till the 19th and I wouldn't receive until the 21st.

So, using Apple's 14 day no restocking fee return policy I'm going to test them both, in particular testing the AT&T sim in the VZW iPad. If it works I'll get an AT&T sim and just choose what I want to use when in any particular month.

That said, I see these commercials for VZW offering 4GB of VZW 4G LTE for $30 oh their phones. Why would they not offer this for tablets too? Or will they if we just ask? I am not in a 4G area for either but the fringe of VZW 4G is closer to me that AT&T which is one reason I changed my mind about going with VZW also because I can use as hotspot if I choose.

17. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

How much do you want for it and when are you getting it?

18. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

What is MiWi? I did a search and can't find anything about it. Havinginternet is not a must have for me while camping, but a niceto have.

----------

I am getting it tomorrow, im thinking about keeping verizon now, as it seems that they have better 4g coverage in the city and outside of the city better 3g.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes, Verizon is much larger and growing much faster.

20. ewo1992, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

Thanks, I think I will keep the verizon for the better service area, even though it may be slower and I will get 1GB less for $30