Pre-ordering a no contract Verizon iPhone without a Verizon plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Sep 9, 2014.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I'm an AT&T customer who wants to buy the Verizon version of the iPhone 6 Plus for use with my AT&T sim card since they are unlocked to maximize future value when I sell the phone. Can I order on Apple's website the Verizon version without even being a Verizon customer? I know we have to wait and see if Apple will allow preorders of this version for the iPhone 6, but is it even possible to buy the Verizon 5s full price on Apple's website without a Verizon phone number or account?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You need a Verizon account. One thing you can do is pre-order from Verizon website with the $60 individual plan on 2-year contract, cancel after one month and pay ETF. The cost works out same as contract free.

3. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Yeah, but that's the etf AND the entire cost of the phone.

4. tazz3 macrumors regular

The guy at Verizon hold me they don't use SIM cards

5. nox5 macrumors 6502

Wrong

----------

Not true

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They use it for LTE and international roaming, some older Verizon phones didn't have them at all since a SIM isn't required for CDMA. But all Verizon iPhones since the 4S have had a SIM although only the 5 and up are unlocked for use in the US, the 4S could only be unlocked for international use.

7. nox5 macrumors 6502

If you cancel after 1 month they will charge for full second month also before they cancel account. They also charge activation fee and taxes.

8. akotten macrumors newbie

Last year, I bought my 5s for Verizon, full price from Apple's website. I added the contract version to my cart, I think it asked me to log in to my Verizon account next. Then it asked me if I wanted to use my upgrade or pay full price. Obviously I wanted to keep my unlimited data, so I opted for full price. Hoping to try that again this year.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

So cancel before 1 month...

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

They'll refund you the fees for the 2nd month (or part of it). Fees are pro-rated based on when you cancel. Verizon can't charge you for services you didn't receive.

For iPhone 6+ 16GB:
    Upfront: $300
    Activation: $35
    1-month service: $60
    ETF: $350
    Total: $745 ($710 if you can get activation waived)

MSRP: $749

Yes, there are still taxes on the service fee. Shouldn't be high, though. Ideally, I believe you want to cancel between 14 days and 30 days so you can keep the phone but not be charged extra service fees.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If they are prorated, the best case scenario would be canceling at day 15, right? (days 1-14 being eligible for full refund, including the phone).

Does Verizon frequently waive the activation fee? Or is that more for long time customers?

12. sr1329 macrumors member

But you needed a relationship with verizon to do that. What does one without that relationship do?

I want VZW version just in case i want to get on VZW prepaid in the future.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm eligible for corporate discount and it seems one of the benefits is waived activation/upgrade fees.

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

15. chocoyo00 macrumors regular

Really? I did not see that option, in my case it asked me to select a new data plan for the upgrade, since unlimited is no longer offered; I never was given an option of paying full price for the phone to keep unlimited data, so I was forced to wait in line at release date, at that point I was able to buy it full price as long as I was a Verizon customer.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Go to Apple retail store to buy device only. I don't think there's any other way to buy it without VZW service. Even then, it might be iffy.

17. maliu macrumors 6502a

Of course they do.

18. sr1329 macrumors member

It's tough the lines are just impossible.

19. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

My brother is on Verizon. Can I use his info (with his permission of course) to place the order without affecting his currently activated cellphone, account, etc? I wonder if Apple needs the addresses of the order and cellphone bill to match, etc.

20. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So if u know someone with Verizon they can order it full price for u

21. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

What do you mean, wrong? You think the carrier is going to let you keep the phone for the subsidized price?

22. cwosigns macrumors 65816

This was my experience, too. Sucks having to wait in line, but they don't really offer us any other alternatives.

23. chocoyo00 macrumors regular

I agree..but at this point it looks like it will be our only choice again...this or maybe ordering straight from Verizon on Friday at full price, which last year they offered.