Pre Ordering at AT&T 24th or 25th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheCheapGeek, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Ok I have no Apple stores around and am leaving for out of town at 9 AM on the 24th so my only option is an in store pickup from AT&T. I have talked to multiple reps and they all have said that any preorders could be picked up in store on the 25th rather than the 24th. They told me that if I wanted to pick a new iPhone up on launch day that I had to wait first come first serve. I dont mind doing that I just want to get my facts straight? I have seen some people say that pre orders can be picked up on the 24th, any one have a good answer?

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

You are not pre-ordering it, but reserving it. However, if you are going through AT&T, you have to pick it up on the 25th if you reserve it. Otherwise, you have to wait in line.

3. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

Yeah, AT&T should really change the way they say pre-order. It's not really a pre-order. I think it's really wrong for AT&T to take what they call "pre-orders" when they allow someone to just walk up and get an iPhone on the 24th and the ones who "pre-order" have to wait until the 25th.

I will say that I did pre-order from AT&T last year and was able to pick up my pre-order on launch morning.

4. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thats what I have been told several times, but I have seen conflicting posts on MR. I have no problem waiting in line to get them I just dont want to miss an opportunity to save some time.

5. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I was not trying to be mean. It is just annoying that AT&T is using that word (like the above poster mentioned) when it is not the same thing. This is making the customers confused as well. They need to get off of their butts and give us some information that can set things straight.

6. lnferno macrumors 6502

I'm also leaving out of town on the 24th, but what I'm doing is doing the home/business delivery option to have it delivered to the hotel that I'll be staying at later that day on the 24th.

7. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't take it as mean, they do need to clarify because I know someone will reserve a phone and get in line next Thursday and be told that they have to wait until the 25th to get their phone.

8. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I considered that as well, but I would rather loose an hour or so of sleep and know I have them before I leave.

9. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I think the reason they are saying the 25th for "preorders" is that in fact you ARE actually pre-ordering the phone to be delivered by common carrier in your name in a seperate box to the store SOMETIME on the 24th (not necessarily in the morning), just like if you had it delivered to your home. They are NOT reserving it and pulling it from their in-store stock. Thus, they don't know what TIME they will be getting your phone on the 24th delivered via common carrier, so they are requiring that you not come in until the 25th to be sure that they have it.

Tony

10. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes quite a bit of sense, I think that is probably the reason. Looks like I will be waiting in line.

11. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Just a note - last year I waited in front of an AT&T store on first day of the 3GS release and I was the only one in line until about 15 minutes before the store was open. And the was downtown in a big US city. I was the first in line and was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Tony

12. lnferno macrumors 6502

I wish I had that option, but I have a super early flight. Oh well, I'll get it later than night when I check in.

13. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I did the same thing, I figure that this year might draw a larger crowd. Who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough.

14. dagomike macrumors 65816

Anyone have a source for this info? So direct fulfillment ATT orders won't be available launch day morning like last year?

15. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told by every att employee that I spoke with that last year you could reserve a phone, this year you can pre order one. The important distinction is that reserving a phone basically put your name on the box in the stock room. So when you got to the store on launch day they wouldn't sell the phone with your name on it. Pre ordering ordered a phone send your phone in its own box to either your home or the att store. When doing this your phone isn't promised to be delivered early on launch day or even till the next day. This year att is not allow you to reserve a phone only pre order.

16. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told by every att employee that I spoke with that last year you could reserve a phone, this year you can pre order one. The important distinction is that reserving a phone basically put your name on the box in the stock room. So when you got to the store on launch day they wouldn't sell the phone with your name on it. Pre ordering ordered a phone send your phone in its own box to either your home or the att store. When doing this your phone isn't promised to be delivered early on launch day or even till the next day. This year att is not allow you to reserve a phone only pre order.