Pre-ordering for delivery or pickup at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LagFighter, Oct 5, 2011.

?

How are you getting iPhone 4S?

1. I'm pre-ordering online Friday and having it shipped to my house.

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. I'm going to wait in line at the Apple Store on launch.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Patience is a virtue...

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. LagFighter macrumors regular

Now that I'm enrolled at a university in a metropolitan area (at least, moreso than my hometown) with an Apple Store, I was curious: how many people are going to pick their iPhone 4S up at the Apple Store on launch day rather than order for delivery?

Share experiences with both in the past! I was considering camping at my local Apple Store because I thought it might be fun! That said, it's in a mall, so I don't know how that would work.

2. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

I've previously pre-ordered for an Apple Store pickup.

I was wondering, if I pre-order online for delivery, does it arrive on launch day? Or does that depend on the shipping method I choose?

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Many have reported to have received previous models on launch day, and in some cases a day before launch day.

4. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

So launch day at the latest?

5. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

The shippers aim to have it delivered on launch day.

But there's always the possibility of other factors that could delay it (like weather). And keep in mind launch day is on a Friday.

6. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Well accidental factors permitting of course. So there is no "Ships in 3-5 days" BS, right?

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im gonna stay up til 3 and order it tomorrow.....if I get it on launch great if I have to wait til sat or monday thats fine too. anything is better then dealing with the scalpers around here in line.

8. CompletelyApple macrumors newbie

My local Apple Store told me that they are not doing in store pickup this time around. Delivery only for pre-orders.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

10. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

It depends on how quickly you pre-order. The longer you wait, you increase the chance of a backorder. But there shouldn't be ship delay at the start.

If you consider this any indication, the iPad 2 went online for pre-order in the middle of the night last March. By daylight, there was already a backorder. You can't really compare what happened with the iPhone 4 launch because of the whole verification system problem.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I always do pick up at the Apple Store. That way, I can actually have the box opened in my presence and make certain that there are no flaws. As I've learned through painful experience, it DOES happen sometimes...

12. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I'm gonna try my best to preorder at 12:01am sharp. If I can't for whatever reason, I'll just reserve it at my local Apple Store.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I just like the experience. Plus, I get to play with it on my way to work.

14. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

That might not be an option. Apple has not made any official announcement regarding in-store pickup, and there are several rumors floating around that they will not be offering that service. Several MR members were told by store employees that they will not be offering it.

15. fastfinger macrumors member

I went into the Santa Monica Apple store today and they said they are allowing in store pick-up.

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Correct. It's first come first served this time around.