Pre-ordering full price iPhone X and entering IUP later

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Anyone on T-Mobile planning to buy the iPhone X full price and taking it to an Apple store unopened and trying to enter IUP? Many did this last year with the iPhone 7.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

AceFernalld

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Not sure if my chances are better doing this or camping out. I will probably try to order, and if I get a Nov. 3rd delivery date forego the camping.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Do we have definitive sources proving that? I’m nervous to rely on that method and then be told that I’m out of luck.
What happens is if you don't open it, the store processes it as a "non-open box" or something, so they can resell the phone. If the phone is opened, it's considered open box, so they have to send it to the warehouse. If you're nervous, just do a store pickup.

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Do we have definitive sources proving that? I’m nervous to rely on that method and then be told that I’m out of luck.
I've read on here and reddit different people claiming they did so with the iPhone 7 last year and one with the iPhone 8. Worst case if this loophole doesn't work you either keep the iPhone at full price or return it for real. Not a huge risk at the end of the day.

ericiu2

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Anyone on T-Mobile planning to buy the iPhone X full price and taking it to an Apple store unopened and trying to enter IUP? Many did this last year with the iPhone 7.
I called Apple, and the rep suggested I do just what you said: order full-price T-Mobile version and then take it to store, return it, and rebuy it under the Apple IUP. He said whether you open the package or not doesn't matter since you're rebuying the phone anyway.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I called Apple, and the rep suggested I do just what you said: order full-price T-Mobile version and then take it to store, return it, and rebuy it under the Apple IUP. He said whether you open the package or not doesn't matter since you're rebuying the phone anyway.
That's great to hear. On the opening/not opening part, I would play it safe. Did read that opening it MAY mean it can be returned but not sold again since it's no longer considered new or something...

AceFernalld

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I've read on here and reddit different people claiming they did so with the iPhone 7 last year and one with the iPhone 8. Worst case if this loophole doesn't work you either keep the iPhone at full price or return it for real. Not a huge risk at the end of the day.
Having to return the phone is a risk, as by that point online orders will be sold out for at least weeks if not months.

That being said, I’m probably going to order for in store pickup and then just ask to return/rebuy.

Paying full price wouldn’t be that bad but I do want to get on the iUP, hence why I’m asking about it.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
A side note, you’ll end up paying more because Yi have to get Apple care+. But if you’re going to get it anyways a mooot point

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Interested in this as well. Are you able to order a full price phone for T-Mobile thru the apple store app?

shr631

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Could this work for Verizon phones too or is it somehow unique to t-mobile?

Also can any employees confirm that phones can be returned-repurchased?

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Interested in this as well. Are you able to order a full price phone for T-Mobile thru the apple store app?
Yes and more interestingly is that only on T-Mobile, you can't actually setup AUP via Apple App or Apple Web site. You must go the the Apple Retail to get the AUP setup.
Could this work for Verizon phones too or is it somehow unique to t-mobile?

Also can any employees confirm that phones can be returned-repurchased?
Sure it should work for a Verizon iPhone X but you will need to have an active Verizon account to even purchase at full price a Verizon iPhone X from Apple.

Dave

iPhone Xcited

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Arizona
Yes and more interestingly is that only on T-Mobile, you can't actually setup AUP via Apple App or Apple Web site. You must go the the Apple Retail to get the AUP setup.

Sure it should work for a Verizon iPhone X but you will need to have an active Verizon account to even purchase at full price a Verizon iPhone X from Apple.

Dave
Is it possible to order a Verizon iPhone X through a retailer (Best Buy or Target) at full price, then take that one to do the iUP at the Apple Store when received (as a T-Mobile customer)?

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
I was planning to do the same thing but went down to the Apple store to confirm it. They told me that it wouldn't work. The phone which I was shipped would have to go back into inventory (something about the IMEI or SIM, can't remember), and I would have to get a new phone from the store. And since the store won't have new phones ....

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Is it possible to order a Verizon iPhone X through a retailer (Best Buy or Target) at full price, then take that one to do the iUP at the Apple Store when received (as a T-Mobile customer)?
Nope that will not work. Apple is not able to perform the return and resale of a Third party retailer's device. Apple will only do Warranty related service.

I was planning to do the same thing but went down to the Apple store to confirm it. They told me that it wouldn't work. The phone which I was shipped would have to go back into inventory (something about the IMEI or SIM, can't remember), and I would have to get a new phone from the store. And since the store won't have new phones ....
Yea, you got some bad information from the store rep. They may not want to bother but they sure can perform a return and process a repurchase of an Apple.com iPhone X purchase on a new AUP.

The answer always depends on the Apple retail rep that you ask. Your details point to the rep being able to perform a return to place the iPhone into the Store's inventory. If the rep can do that then the same rep can setup a AUP reusing the same device you returned. There is nothing magic about the IMEI or SIM.

Dave

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
what is the advantage of Apple's IUP vs. Tmobile's JUMP program anyway? I heard Tmo Jump includes protection against theft and has applecare as well? Not sure if that's true?

dtdt123

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
What happens is if you don't open it, the store processes it as a "non-open box" or something, so they can resell the phone. If the phone is opened, it's considered open box, so they have to send it to the warehouse. If you're nervous, just do a store pickup.
I opened, used and returned my iPhone 7 Plus last year and was allowed to repurchase it on the IUP program.

I doubt this has changed.

They just did it, no questions asked.

EDIT: I bought the phone from Apple via the Apple Store