Pre-ordering in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shandyman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. shandyman Suspended

When pre-ordering from one of the networks in the UK, do we pay when we pre-order online or will the payment go through on 24th when it's released?

Cheers

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Apple UK didn't charge for pre-ordering the iPad until it was shipped. But knowing the UK carriers, they will charge you at the first opportunity. I wonder if we get a choice of ordered from Apple.... I'd prefer that.... in fact, I would prefer it if Apple bought out Vodafone and it became Applefone UK....

3. badbradderz macrumors regular

Surely being able to order from Apple is a no-brainer? why would they not sell their own product from day 1?

i only intend to buy from Apple, i will be buying the phone outright and putting a sim in it.

and as it relates to pre-ordering, for the iPad Apple did take some peoples money immediately, way before shipping, whether or not they do is dependent on whether you use a credit or debit card primarily...debit purchases tend to be taken immediately and credit cards are charged at time of shipping.

4. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Last year there was no pre-ordering from Apple with the 3GS in the UK. They sold it on launch but you couldn't pre-order. The only company to offer pre-orders was Carphone Warehouse.

As they have announced pre-orders this year and a date for them I would expect that Apple will offer them as well but there isn't much information about the UK launch yet other than 24th June is the release date.

5. shandyman thread starter Suspended

i'm wanting to go on contract on o2, so will only get it from them, they did pre-order when i got my 3G, but i get paid the day the iphone gets released, but poor till then, so i'm asking as i want to preorder knowing i will get one on release, as knowing my luck i'll have to wait for a month for stock to come back in....

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I spoke to O2 on the day of the keynote before steve came out and was told there wasn't going to be pre-ordering but I guess once pricing has been released they may know more if they can pre-order or not

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

You probably know a lot more about this than many reading this thread as you've been through it once before.

For your 3G pre-order, did you do it all online? Was there an option to collect at store?

Did you have any PAC number involved? If so was that processed on the release date or did the new phone come with a random number and you then needed to do a separate PAC of your old number after you had the new phone up and running?

I'm thinking of pre-ordering an O2 PAYG and transferring across my existing T-Mobile number and I'm a bit unsure as to how it all works.

- Julian

8. JulianL macrumors 65816

If I go to the UK Apple store right now I can buy a 3GS PAYG with O2. Might this mean that, even if O2 don't get pre-ordering sorted out via their own web site, maybe it will still be possible for at least PAYG customers to place a pre-order directly with Apple?

- Julian

9. shandyman thread starter Suspended

it was 2 years ago I pre-ordered and I can't remember when I paid, when I pre-ordered or when released. That's why I made the thread asking. When I got the 3g it was an upgrade, so no PAC codes, so I can't help. Sorry

10. sjw macrumors regular

I'm curious as to how they are going to do it too... Me personally, my contract expired in January (I have a launch 3G) and I 'downgraded' to the rolling simplicity tariff and I've simply been waiting until iPhone 4.

I've got a feeling maybe only PAYG iPhones will be available for pre-order... which means having to line up on launch day for those of us already signed up :( Would love to be wrong... I hope I am.