Pre ordering iPhone X from overseas, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hectorvs, Sep 16, 2017.

1. hectorvs macrumors regular

hectorvs

So, this year I’ll be overseas when preorders open in the states. Given the time difference, 12am pacific will be 9am where I’ll be.

I’m thinking I’ll VPN to a US proxy and just use the app normally to preorder. It’s potentially going to be slow af, but I don’t think I have any other option.

Does anyone have experience with this process to preorder a US phone from europe?

thanks!

2. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Don't need a VPN. Log on to the Apple store app as usual. All you need us a US credit card billing address and US shipping address and youll be fine. I've gone down this route multiple times.

Set up apple pay and your shipping address in advance for a faster checkout. Maybe even favorite whatever phone you're looking at.

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

You don't even need a US credit card. I live oversees and have preordered iPhones in the US before, with an oversees credit card. You just need to go to Apple's website / app and order the phone like you normally would in the US. No need for VPN or anything.

4. niji Contributor

niji

when you used a foreign credit card to pre-order: was your purchase to be picked up at an apple store, or, was it delivered to an address?

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I have only gotten iPhones delivered to an address. Although I have gotten a MacBook Pro and some other stuff delivered to an Apple Store, all using a foreign card. Basically, it doesn't matter where the card is from. You can do the exact same things whether you have a credit card issued in the US or abroad.

6. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Good point. But a couple of times I've had issues with expensive items being shipped to an address different from billing address.

Might work but if you're ordering an X that few minutes of delay could mean a delivery date well into 2018.

I'd use a card with the same shipping and billing address. OrPayPal. Or an apple gift certificate. All previously setup with Apple pay

7. hectorvs thread starter macrumors regular

hectorvs

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try and get a decent connection and hope for the best.