Pre-ordering on Apple with a gift card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micawoli, Jun 7, 2010.

1. micawoli macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm coming over from verizon so i have to start a new contract with at&t.

I have a few questions about the pre-ordering process and using my apple gift card....

1. What time exactly can we pre-order on the 15th? midnight? 9am?

2. When I sign up for the new contract can i do a family talk plan right from apple site? I ask this because my gf and i are gonna get the plan so itll be cheaper, but shes just gonna get a free phone. I want to use my gift card towards the new iphone so i obviously have to do everythin through apple

3. Finally, we are both students at the u of i and can apply the FAN discount. can we also do this through the apple website?

Thanks so much for all of your help!!! I'm real excited about having one of these in my hands on the 24th, but i want to make sure im doing it right!:D

2. micawoli thread starter macrumors member

3. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have the same question regarding using an Apple gift card. Can we use it and get the discounted price in a pre order? How does this work?

4. calvy macrumors 65816

Hopefully someone can answer this question, because I was about to get a gift card that I wanted to use towards my iPhone purchase. But I want to pre order.

I don't think any of us know the details about when exactly a preorder will start.

as far as the FAN discount, no, Apple can't help you there.

5. TJOLSON19 macrumors newbie

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a valid gift card - its just a credit to anything they sell...I bought my 3gs with a giftcard last year with no problem

6. TJOLSON19 macrumors newbie

Also, to my knowledge you have to setup the FAN discount directly through ATT and it takes a month to take effect.

7. orange42 macrumors 6502a

My question is though when you use a gift card on Apple online how will they know you're eligible for upgrading and sell it to you for the $199 price?

8. msavwah macrumors 6502

Apple reserves the right to change at any time the products you can purchase with gift cards and to limit the use of gift cards in its discretion.

They did it with ipads I think. Buyer beware if that is your plan.
    Unless you are referring to an actual iPhone gift card, maybe I misread.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Gift card has nothing to do with the Upgrade Eligiblity check. You enter your phone number and the last 4 digits of the primary account holder's SSN and the system checks with AT&T.

You can do it right now for the iPhone 3GS to see how it works. Here is the direct link: https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/checkUpgradeEligibility

If you don't trust this deep link, just go to this page and pick the Check your eligibility link aka http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Dave

10. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Dave. I've never pre-ordered an iPhone seeing as I got the 3G like 14 months ago from AT&T. That helped.

11. micawoli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the help!!!

so let me get this straight, from what i gathered from the responses:

1. I can use my gift card but only on the apple website.

2. i cant apply the FAN discount until after i get the phone and bring it into an att store or online after a month

3. i guess we wont find out about the exact time you can start pre-ordering until apple announces it

so my other question is:

1. does apple do number porting or do i have to once again wait until i get the phone in my hands and go to an att store

thanks so much agains guys and gals!!! I am new to this game and just want to get it right bc i dont have a lot of money to mess around :D

12. dave006 Contributor

dave006

1. No the Apple gift card has the following information:

Apple Gift Cards are issued and managed by Apple Value Services, LLC (“Issuer”) and can be applied only to purchases from an Apple Retail Store, the Apple Online Store, or Apple Telesales (800-MY-APPLE) in the United States. Apple Gift Cards may not be redeemed at the iTunes Store, through any Apple resellers or any AT&T retail or online stores at any Apple Online Store, Apple Telesales, or Apple Retail Store outside the United States.
    source: http://store.apple.com/us/personalize/apple?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY&product=MA210LL/B

2. No, you can apply the National Account Discount - FAN anytime within 30 days, some National Accounts require a $30 fee after 30 days. Here is the link to get started and verify your FAN eligibliity if you have an email address within your groups domain: https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

3. Correct, Apple and AT&T get to decide when they want to get hit on June 15 and nether party has published a time (yet).
    Bonus Question: You can provide you phone number and the porting process with start with your activation or you can get a temp phone number and have up to 30 days to port (this will allow you to verify that you like the coverage...). Just call the AT&T Porting center.

Dave

13. micawoli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dave!!

So it looks like i can use it att online store as long as its in the us? but when i just went to their website, i couldnt find any place where i would enter my apple gift card number.

i think im a lost cause dave :rolleyes:

14. letswastetime macrumors regular

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I think you need to go back and read my response 1 above as it clearly states that you can not use your Apple Gift card at AT&T.

Apple Gift Cards may not be redeemed at the iTunes Store, through any Apple resellers or any AT&T retail or online stores at any Apple Online Store, Apple Telesales, or Apple Retail Store outside the United States.
    source: http://store.apple.com/us/personalize/apple?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY&product=MA210LL/B

Dave

16. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Used $100 apple gift card towards my iPhone 3G, no problems :)

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Am I wrong or doesn't it have to be an iPhone Gift Card to be allowed to go towards an iPhone?

18. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I can't answer that, but I HOPE you're wrong since my gift card is just an Apple one and I have no other use for it other than getting the phone.