Pre-ordering process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boysangur, Sep 10, 2014.

1. boysangur macrumors newbie

Question to people who have pre-ordered an iPhone through Apple's website before: am I able to register for a new plan with a new company during the process?

The reason I'm asking is because I no longer wish to upgrade through my carrier. I want to select a new provider and new plan with the iPhone 6 (thinking about T Mobile).

2. julius071 macrumors regular

It will be the same process as on Apple.com, pick a carrier, pick a size and color then you pay. Once you get your phone, you go to carrier to which to choose and you activate the phone there.

3. boysangur thread starter macrumors newbie

Pick any carrier or only your existing carrier?

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Are you wanting to keep your phone number? Or are you okay with getting a new one?

5. boysangur thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm fine with a new number.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Then I believe that you can sign up for new service at Apple.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if you select a new carrier and a new number, after you get the phone you can port your number from your old account before you cancel it. Just don't cancel the account before you port it. Of course this means for a short period of time you'll be essentially paying for two lines at the same time.

8. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You should be able to port your number at the same time you sign up for service. I did it in 2010 when I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T for the iPhone 4.

9. boysangur thread starter macrumors newbie

That's funny. I'm actually planning to switch to T Mobile from AT&T.

I didn't know you could port your number while your service is still active at one carrier.

10. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Once you receive the new phone and activate it, your old carrier will be notified and your service with them will terminate.

11. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

This is what I have been wanting to know. So to be clear - I can pre-order a verizon phone, receive it, activate it with whatever # they assign and then later port over the # from AT&T (account still open) later?