Pre-Ordering Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman0304, Jun 7, 2010.

1. hitman0304 macrumors member

I've never pre-ordered an Iphone before, but I plan to for this next release. What exactly all goes into the process? Should I go immediately on the 15th so I can be sure I get a pre-order? Do they sell out of pre-orders quickly?

Just some basic questions so I can guarantee I get my new phone right away :)

2. macaco74 macrumors regular

I always wonder why the delay with setting a pre-order date, why not just let us have at it now?

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Maybe for the people that just realized that they want one. They now have to get $300+. This way people can save!!

4. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

5. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Wait, are these phones being shipped to our houses? Are we pre-ordering online or in an Apple/AT&T store?

6. cowsrus macrumors 6502

when you preorder you specify apple store/att store/delivered on launch date

7. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Crap, so no shipment to our houses like last year?

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Or delivered means delivered to your house or place of work as it may be for me :)

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you buy on the 15th you are pretty much guaranteed a phone on the 24th. You can p/u @ store or order for home delivery. If you p/u @ store you don't pay until you p/u. No CC is required to reserve. If you have it delivered then you have to give them your CC. They will charge when it ships.

I suspect pre-orders will remain open for the rest of the week. They will shut it down at some point b/c of delivery logistics.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

PLEeeeese tell me I can have it delivered to my door from Apple.

I have a FAN, and I wonder if the SIM cards will be the same. Hopefully its a: pop sim, sync and GO!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

SIM is not the same. It's a microSIM just like in the iPad. However, you can cut your SIM down. See Google for instructions.

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

One of the things that would be helpful in deciding would be what time this is all happening. I did not buy the iPhone 3GS, so I did not experience the pre-ordering. However, is it as soon as the mall opens?

13. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Chupa Chupa:

Weird. Sounds like some cool hand action.

Thanks!

14. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

My situation is different, I'm actually switching from Verizon to AT&T, so whats the process of my pre-ordering, is it the same as others? I want to have the same phone # as I have right now...anyone done this before, switched from Verizon to AT&T? thanks

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hard to say. First iPhone went on sale @ 6pm. 3G went on sale at 8am. 3GS went on sale at 7am. iPad WiFi went on sale @ 9am. iPad 3G went on sale @ 6pm.

Crap shoot.

Yeah, my first iPhone I came over from Sprint. They change the process w/ each phone. Last time you had to p/u in-store and activate. You could not have it delivered. You can have them port your phone number at that time, or you can do it later.

16. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

So the only way is pre-ordering than picking it up at the store so they can port my number and do that stuff right? So I cant have it delivered?

17. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I remember what it was like for the first iPhone and iPhone 3G, but I skipped the iPhone 3GS. Both iPhone's I was just able to walk in and get with little wait time the next day (I believe none for the first iPhone).

I just think it is an important factor come pre-ordering.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'm eligible for an early upgrade, not a full upgrade, so can I still pre-order through Apple on June 15th?

19. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Now that we know it's the 15th that the pre-orders go live, did they say what time the pre-order page will go live or is that to come in the following weeks.

20. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

In reference to that article, I would go through Apple.

"For greater convenience and faster delivery, preorders can be shipped directly to a customer’s home or business for delivery as early as June 24. Customers can also have a preorder shipped to their local AT&T store for pick up on or after Friday, June 25."

21. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

OK so AT&T pre order is out. I am not waiting till Friday. Anyone know if an apple store pre-order can be picked up in the morning? If not I will just get it delivered fedex to the house on launch day.

Any advantage ordering off the AT&T vs. apple site?

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can picked up a cheap GSM phone (or borrow one from a friend) and then port your number into AT&T off-contract (basically opt for the no-contract port); if the sales rep says it can't be done, ask for the manager.

After this you will have AT&T service and still be eligible for an upgrade [and thereby able to preorder on June 15th assuming you start porting now].

NOTE: DO NOT BUY A NEW PHONE FROM AT&T AND SIGN A 2-YEAR AGREEMENT WHEN YOU PORT.

23. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I know there is no way for us to know about iPhone 4 sales, but in past years...for 3G, 3GS...on pre-order day, have the phones for earliest delivery sold out quickly? In other words, in a matter of hours, or are you generally good if you order any time during the first day (June 15)?

24. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I just got off the phone with AT&T. At first the CSR quoted me the $199 price. I actually want the 32GB which is $299. But then he logged into my account and discovered I am not eligible until next year. $499 for the 32GB. Yikes! Maybe I don't need to store so many movies on my iPhone. I never watch them anyway. Oh well, lets see how much my 3Gs fetches on eBay and I will go from there.

Kinda think I want to buy it in person on launch day. It sounds fun?