Pre-ordering unsubsidized iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghostbuster, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ghostbuster macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm travelling to the US (actually on the 24th, pure coincidence) and I was wondering if I can pre-order an unsubsidized iPhone 4 (I have an address in the US and I have a friend with SS number and credit card) or if the pre-orders are only for people that will take a contract with the phone.

And I suppose there will be a unit limit per credit card? (2?)

Thank you.
    Regards

2. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Even if you can do that, why would you? The phone is locked to AT&T so it will be of no use to you outside US.

3. ghostbuster thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it's easily unlocked, so why wouldn't I buy one?

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

some people just dont like being under a contract.

5. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I am in a very similar shoes as the OP. Well I live in Canada, it's not coming here until late July, not that I cannot wait till late July but..it wont do me any good waiting...for 1) I just renewed my contract with Rogers two months ago, so I am not even qualified for a new iPhone 4 (upgrade)...

for 2) By the end of July my current iPhone 3Gs probably will be worth a lot less than it is right now.

I'm pretty optimistic about the Unlock and jailbreak etc. being available very shortly after launch, so...

My plan is to sell my 3Gs now..and wait three-four weeks and drive 1.5 hours across the border to Buffalo ( Late June or beginning of July) and go to the ATT or the Apple store and purchase one for $599-$699 whatever without a contract...What are the chances of this plan being successful for me?

none? slim? probable? most likely yes? definitely yes?

6. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I don't know why people have high hopes for a quick unlock fix. Isn't 3.1.3 not unlockable even to this day? That's the firmware on my phone and I'm having trouble selling it because no one has been able to unlock it yet. I imagine the iPhone 4 will have even greater measures to stop unlockers.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's easily s/w unlocked, but for the same money you can buy a factory unlocked one on eBay and elsewhere and not have to worry about warranty issues or the phone locking back up b/c you installed new Apple firmware.

8. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Not, it's not "easily unlocked", there is no unlock solution for it at all at the moment, and there won't be one for quite sometime.
    Read again, OP is not in US.

9. CJayC macrumors 6502

I hate it when ignorant people say things like they know what they're talking about

http://modmyi.com/images/nickhesson/muscle.png

I assume you know who MuscleNerd is.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

And some people are crazy. ;) Seriously as long as the monthly bill is the same, might as well put that subsidy towards that bill.

ATT is selling no-contract phones. I haven't seen anything that says you can pre-order them, but I assume so. You'll know next Tuesday.

11. ghostbuster thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I pay much less with a different carrier than I would with the one who subsidizes the phone.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

The idea is to get a carrier unlocked one in July (from Apple Hong Kong) but I just want to have the phone as soon as possible, even if that means that I have to unlock it via s/w (takes about 2 minutes).
    And unlocks will be out as soon as the iPhone 4 is launched.

Thanks for all your replies, I will just wait and see.

12. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

what other phone carrier currently uses the micro sim cards? that will prevent people from unlocking them and using them on other networks i assume:confused:

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Not as long as there are microsim adapters so that solves that issue right there.

14. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

No, I don't know who MuscleNerd is and I do not give a flying #$%^ what he says. iPhone HD? Yes, sounds like this guy knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes: Does he have a working iPhone 4 in hand to make that claim? Didn't think so.

15. ghostbuster thread starter macrumors newbie

You can just cut down a normal SIM card to the size of a microSIM. Not hard to do and works perfectly on iPads.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Micro-sim is an industry standard. All carriers will use them eventually if they haven't started already. A lot of carriers may be rolling out micro-sims for the first time with the iPhone 4. However, the iPhone 4 is not the first device to use a micro-sim.

It's really not a big deal.

17. dav macrumors 6502

Not knowing who MuscleNerd is makes you quite the knowledgeable source on carrier unlocks. ;)

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Exactly, the fact that you don't know who he is kills any credibility you thought you had on the subject.

MuscleNerd has the JB and UL for the 3G/3GS on iOS4 with the latest bootrom. If you had half a clue, you would know that they are saving an exploit from the 3GS that should be able to JB and UL iPhone 4. That's the reason you didn't see a JB/UL with 3.1.3, they didn't want to tip their hands to Apple and have Apple fix the exploit.

19. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I would definitely NOT buy an iPhone here assuming that there will be an unlock for it right away. Yes, iPhone Dev team will be releasing a jailbreak and unlock for all current hardware at this time in the near future as Musclenerd has stated. Whether or not this will work for the iPhone 4 is not determined yet. There could be a hardware limitation there that we don't know about yet. Or, even more likely, they could ship them with a new baseband installed that will be unlockable.

Buyer beware. ;)

20. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Ugh.. sure thing, pal. iPhone 4 has all-new radio hardware and firmware; whatever he managed to conjure up won't work, at least not for a while. Good luck with that.

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You keep thinking that. I'll bet you there's a JB and UL available before the end of the weekend after launch.

22. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you should search a little before posting all this crap.

23. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. That would make all those extra iPhones I am buying a whole lot more valuable :D

24. CJayC macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ, hardware has almost nothing to do with it. The goddamn software that iPhone 4 uses is iOS 4 which has been out since April and the GM version just recently became available and has been tested by MuscleNerd. In fact, the 3.1.3 unlocks have been in existence for quite some time now but just not released so it could be saved for the next major OS upgrade, in this case, iOS 4.

I've been doing this for a long time and there's always people who think they know what they're talking about and just don't listen to those who do. This guy is one of them. I know you know nothing about this because most of the garbage spewed from your mouth is erroneous conjecture you thought of during your self-pleasure sessions.

25. dav macrumors 6502

I side with you, but is it terribly wrong to imagine that the 4 has different baseband software? I would imagine the hole would persist, but I would also imagine it would not be the same baseband as the 3GS. Maybe. Don't know.

Did the 3GS have the same BB as the 3G when it was released? I know the dev-team has unlocks for the 3GS and 3G upon iOS4 release, but the 4 is still in question I think.

Direct me otherwise.