Pre-Ordering using someone else's upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFGiantsfan, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SFGiantsfan macrumors newbie

Can I pre-Oder at an ATT store (for the $199 price) using an upgrade from another line on my family plan?

Normally, I would go ahead and order from apple, but I read somewhere else (on these forums) that apple can't do it as their system cant access upgrade eligibility/etc, so I would need to go to a ATT store.

So basically... am i forced to camp out at an ATT store to ensure I get one on launch, or can I pre-order and have one waiting for me? If it wasn't for the new micro SIM, I would have just upgraded the other line and switched the SIMs...

On a side note- my upgrade eligibility is 2/20/2011 :(

2. SFGiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yeah you can, but since you're doing it at the AT&T store you may need the primary account holder with you for verification purposes.

4. exATTemployee macrumors newbie

Just make sure you're an authorized user, and have your id and you'll be good

5. SFGiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know I can do it ... I was just wondering if I can still preorder.

Say I pre-order, the computer doesn't know that im going to use another person's upgrade. Will it charge me the $399? Or is it free to pre-order, and you pay at the store?

6. SFGiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess what im trying to ask is: When I pre-order, do I do it under my line, or my mom's?

If I do it under my moms, do I just ask ATT to activate it under my line when I get to the store?