Carrier Pre paid DATA for Ipad ??? [ How ]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipad-air2, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ipad-air2 macrumors newbie

anyone in here know how to used LTE and 4G on ipad without sign up contract with ATT or Tmobile carrier ????

will prepaid data work for it ???
    :rolleyes:

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Just go to Settings > Cellular > in the ipad and sign up with the company you want. They show you all the prepaid services there. You are not signing up for a long term contract.

With the Apple SIM card, if you sign up with AT&T, the card is locked to AT&T. All that means is that if you decide to use another company, you will have to get another SIM card. It does not mean that you are locked into a contract with AT&T. You can start and stop your plan at will.

3. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

If you start following the t-mobile activation they'll clearly delineate the prepaid plans from the postpaid plans. I'd recommend trying them first as they have a free 250mb/month plan, and if you ever do change your mind they won't lock your apple sim to them like AT&T will.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I just signed up for T-Mobile on my tablet and it's a free 200MB/month (not 250MB).

The free music on T-Mobile is also not covered (not free) under the 200MB/month.

On T-Mobile, it's $30 for 3GB prepaid (last for a month).

5. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Oops, yes, you're right, 200mb, not 250!

When I asked them if the music streaming exemption worked with tablets, it was in regards to my 5gb/month (postpaid) allotment, not the free 200mb. I suspect the music exemption is only for their postpaid plans.

Their tablet data deal for postpaid customers is really good, but I'm not sure how their prepaid deals stack up to Sprint's. Since Sprint doesn't lock the sim you can easily switch between them and t-mo based on who has the best deal.

6. ipad-air2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i need around 3GB or 4GB data a month for prepaid , so which ipad should i get

ATT ipad or Tmobile ipad ??

can i get ATT ipad and using tmobile prepaid sim ?????

i like iphone and ipad of ATT than tmobile ,,,:)

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

ipads being sold now aren't carrier-specific anymore. Every ipad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 will work on all carriers.

8. ipad-air2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i though new policy now ATT ipad locked network , is it correct ????

:rolleyes:

9. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

No, ATT doEs not lock the iPad. They merely lock the Apple SIM. You can get another SIM and use whichever other provider you wish.

10. ipad-air2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i talk to ATT they said att ipad cant work for tmobile or another prepaid sim

they said lock all ipad air 2 and mini 3

just ask 3 retailer att today

that sound not right ,

11. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Yeah, they are wrong. There is only one ipad air 2 that does cellular. If you sign up with AT&T, they will lock the SIM, but all you have to do is swap the SIM out to use a different carrier. They can't lock the actual iPad, only the SIM.

12. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

According to this page https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans, if you get a prepaid plan the free music stuff applies too, and saves some money on the lower ones.

13. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

That would happen only if you buy a discounted iPad from ATT direct. They tie you into a mandatory monthly plan for a period of time. Is that what you were looking at?

14. ipad-air2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ATT customer service told me if who purchase ipad air 2 model of ATT will be lock using ATT sim only , no tmobile or verizon or sprint , so on ...

15. Closingracer macrumors 68020

If you buy the iPad Air 2 at the Apple Store the tablet is unlocked. It comes with the apple sim. The carriers that "support" this in the U.S. is AT&T , sprint and t-mobile. What AT&T does is lock that sim currently in the iPad to AT&T. You can't go back and choose t-mobile or sprint with that SIM card. You would need to ask t-mobile, sprint or Apple for a SIM card ( a branded t-mobile AT&T or sprint SIM cards will work if you simply rather go to a carrier store). If you want Verizon you will need to ask Verizon for a SIM card anyways since they don't support this Apple SIM card

16. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

What a bad decision by ATT! I have been pretty happy with ATT data plans in the past. However, knowing that they will lock up my Apple SIM, I will now avoid them to maintain my flexibility. Right now, I'm digging the free 200 MB/mo plan from T-Mobile. :)

17. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I am not digging it lol . I'm paying for match your data and have that ....God t-mobile screws up everything ....about to just cancel it and pay more for Verizon or etc

18. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

If you select T-Mobile on an iPad Air 2, is also shows a 'limited time exclusive pass' for 5 GB for 5 months for $10. I'm not sure if it renews for not, but it's certainly a good deal to see if T-Mobile is suitable in your area. Would sure be nice if data were this cheap all the time.

19. Closingracer macrumors 68020

You have 5 months to use it of whenever you reach 5g. ...it's decent

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The new iPads come with an unactivated sim that will work on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. If you activate the sim on AT&T, the sim becomes locked to AT&T. The sim can always be replaced with a new one if you want to switch to T-Mobile.

21. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

What I'm not sure about is what happens when either the data or the time frame runs out. Does it renew? I'd love to stay in a plan like this indefinitely, but I think it's only a one time deal to entice people to try TMobile and then select a more expensive renewable plan.

I still have some data on my old AT&T plan that I want to use up first before I sign up for this promotion. I just hope if it's still available at that time.

22. Closingracer macrumors 68020

No it's a pre paid data pass not a data plan. Your buying 5gb to use either when it runs out or when 5 months has passed. Honestly if you get solid t-mobile service in your area I would go with the. Because you get more options and is cheaper. You have options ranging from free 200mb , 1gb, 2gb and so on and this is all unlimited data with the exception of the 200mb plan. These are lte allotments and once you past it you get throttled slower speeds but you have data

23. ipad-air2 thread starter macrumors newbie

how fast speed prepaid data ? are they same speed as plan data ????:apple:

24. sashusmom macrumors newbie

sashusmom

I bought my ipad air 2 last christmas and was not aware of this data pass. Found out about it today by adding a data pass after my free 200 mb was used up. To my surprise the 5 gb for $10 over 150 days was a surprising choice!! I jumped on it since I never heard of it before.

I tried Harbor Mobile for 1 month- that was 5 gb/$15/month, but had an additional $4.05 tacked onto it for access and taxes. If I knew t-mo had this data pass I would have totally jumped on it then.

I still can't find out much about this data pass. It's not listed anywhere on T-mo's site.

And this is a year later than when this thread wa started!!!