Pre-paid help: changing from 4gb to 8gb, is this possible???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VoodooDaddy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

So Im getting conflicting stories on this. Long story short, I had a 4gb on a gophone plan. Bought an 8gb last week. I assumed I could swap sims and be good to go, then just send back the 4gb.

That doesnt work. You have to run through the activation in iTunes and it will say "sorry, ATT has determined you cannot use an iPhone on your account."

Really? Then explain how I have been for 2 weeks???

Call to Apple tech support, no help. Transfer to ATT was told I cant just swap the sim. I have to sign up for a new number if I want to use the 8gb. F that.

Called closest Apple store to see if they had any ideas how to bypass the activation. Was told "we have nothing to do with activation, thats on ATTs end."

According to this post this person was able to do exactly what I want to do:

http://news.com.com/5208-13579_3-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=29949&messageID=298657&start=0

Called Apple today to set up an RMA on the 8gb I just got yesterday. Guy I talked to knew exactly what I was trying to do because he said his wife 1) has a prepaid iPhone and 2) he did exactly what I thought I could do. He just swapped the sim and the new 8gb was activated.

Is this something new that ATT has patched?? Im not signing up for a 2yr plan since Im still under contract with Tmobile. So it seems ATT would rather not have me as a customer than as a gophone customer.

BTW, I did the iNdependence activation but 1) youtube doesnt work 2) the phone locked up once or twice so Im worried that the hack caused that.

Here is my biggest concern though. Lets say down the road my 4gb has problems and I either have to return in, replace it, or restore it. At that point I wont be able to activate that one either.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any ideas?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Terminate your contract with Tmobile and signup for a two year contract with AT&T.

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

You want to give me the $600 to do that?? Thats what I thought. :rolleyes:

At this point, ATT is either going to get $50/mo from me as a gophoner or $0 if they tell me I have to sign a contract.