Pre-Paid SIM options for unlocked iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YukkuriKame, Jan 8, 2011.

1. YukkuriKame macrumors newbie

I will be in the US a couple or three times a year starting a month from now. Will be using iphone in Japan. Ideally would like to have a pre-paid SIM that I can pop in and use for a few weeks, including voice, data, texting...

Any ideas of the options?

2. Adamine macrumors newbie

YES! You can purchase a gophone from ATNT. (Or just the sim card) You can have unlimited talk and text for a month, plus 200mbs of data for $75.

Thats the best data plan you can get if its prepaid. There are a few other plans that you can view/change online from the gophone account menu.

Once you have the prepaid SIM in your phone, visit www.unlockit.co.nz from your iphones web browser (You must be connected to wifi).

All you have to do is select "Create custom APN"

*Select your carrier (ATNT)
    *Select your location

Create the APN and install it (Just hit install)

Now you have a prepaid iPhone with data working

3. YukkuriKame thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DYH macrumors newbie

But can you keep the same phone number?

I'm also coming to the US several times a year, with an iPhone 3GS unlocked, looking for a prepaid SIM card plan with data. Trouble is, if I come in Dec. and then again in May, can I keep the same phone number in the US each time I visit? It's really a pain telling everybody a new number each time.

5. Mr Mot macrumors member

I'm looking into this at the moment.
    Off to NY for a week in a fortnight and then MI later on in the year..

The GoPhone plans are pretty expensive for data, although from using their network in the past, AT&T seem to have pretty good coverage!

This time around I'm trying to get my hands on a T-Mobile prepaid SIM to go in my iP4. Struggling a little though as they're not available on ebay, just from rip-off 3rd part resellers..

I don't mind the lack of 3G on T-Mobile, I only want data for checking my mails and the odd bit of browsing.