Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,
I’m going to be away for 11 months soon and I can’t pay for my iCloud during that time so I’m wondering if it’s possible to buy gift cards and redeem them so I have money on my Apple-id where my iCloud costs will get paid?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Yup. They will deduct monthly fees from any credit on the account. Been doing that for a few years now myself.

Added benefit, if you find gift cards at 10-20% off which is quite common around holidays, then you in effect get 10-20% off on the service.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Hi,
I’m going to be away for 11 months soon and I can’t pay for my iCloud during that time so I’m wondering if it’s possible to buy gift cards and redeem them so I have money on my Apple-id where my iCloud costs will get paid?
Sure. Just apply them to your account and set it as a recurring charge. That's what I do with my account and my wife's. I just buy a new card every so often and top up the account when it gets low. It's also safer, as I do not have any of my credit or debit cards associated with it. It's really easy.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Sure. Just apply them to your account and set it as a recurring charge. That's what I do with my account and my wife's. I just buy a new card every so often and top up the account when it gets low. It's also safer, as I do not have any of my credit or debit cards associated with it. It's really easy.

So if you run out of funds or the gift card expires will they automatically charge the rest to the credit card on file?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
So if you run out of funds or the gift card expires will they automatically charge the rest to the credit card on file?
If you have a current card on file, they will likely charge it. A gift card will not expire if it is already applied to your account. Once you apply a card the funds are there till they run out.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yep, I've been doing this too. Load my account with iTunes credit, it pulls from that every month for music and iCloud storage. Either that or it will automatically charge the credit card on file.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
If you have a current card on file, they will likely charge it. A gift card will not expire if it is already applied to your account. Once you apply a card the funds are there till they run out.

Good to know, I'll go to jail for 10 months so I don't want all of my photos etc. to disappear due to now cash on my credit card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.