Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zlinuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
UK
Good morning all,

having "discovered" Apple with the launch of the iPhone last year, I am about to purchase my first mac.

Initially, I will be learning the OS and the bundled software with a little browsing thrown in, with a view to installing a number of CS3 applications at some point in the future.

I have opted for the MBP and would like peoples opinions on the value of the optional upgrades.

For example, in the real world is there a benefit in going for the 2.6Ghz processor upgrade, is the speed benefit tangiable under normal use and if it is, then is it really worth 160.00 gbp (Apple sure know how to charge).

Similar question with the Ram and HDD upgrades, good value or not.

Finally Apple cover at 269.00 gbp (i've had cars that cost less than this). Notwithstanding the peace of mind value of the cover, is the tech support team well informed, well trained trained and efficient and in the event of a hardware failure, how is this handle.

I know I know lots of questions, but forums are the best place to benefit from the experience of others.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I am afraid that before answering those questions it is more important to warn you of the reliability issues the MBP has. Before deciding on the specs it might be worth checking out the internet for all of the people who have had repeated replacement units and trouble.

Before you decide the specs make sure that you still want the actual hardware.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but it is to inform people, especially new switchers that quite a lot of the time Mac's do not 'Just Work'

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
The extra 100mhz difference is not worth the extra money.

Don't buy RAM from Apple, it's too expensive. Stick with the default 2gb and see if that's ok for you. If it is still too slow, buy RAM from an aftermarket dealer, Crucial is popular among MBP users. This should cost you around $100 US, if not cheaper.

Type 'is applecare worth it' into Google, and you'll get a lot of positive reviews. A lot of people say Apple was willing to fix/replace faulty parts no questions asked. They also say phone support is extremely friendly and helpful.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I am afraid that before answering those questions it is more important to warn you of the reliability issues the MBP has. Before deciding on the specs it might be worth checking out the internet for all of the people who have had repeated replacement units and trouble.

Before you decide the specs make sure that you still want the actual hardware.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but it is to inform people, especially new switchers that quite a lot of the time Mac's do not 'Just Work'

'Reliability issues' is a wee bit strong, I think. There were issues with original MBPs (swelling batteries etc), but they have gone in the current iterations. I've had 5 macs over 7 years, and the only problem I've had was the chipped macbook issue, which (to their credit) Apple agreed to fix for free, outside of warranty, without a fuss. The Dells I've used at work on the other hand - they're another story...

EDIT: Oh, I just read your post earlier in this forum LordIllingworth - I'm really sorry that you've had such rotten luck with your laptops - especially as it clearly affects your livelihood. I get cranky when my stuff stops working, and I'm a total hobbyist (at everything). Hope you got it all sorted...

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Good morning all,

having "discovered" Apple with the launch of the iPhone last year, I am about to purchase my first mac.

Initially, I will be learning the OS and the bundled software with a little browsing thrown in, with a view to installing a number of CS3 applications at some point in the future.

I have opted for the MBP and would like peoples opinions on the value of the optional upgrades.

For example, in the real world is there a benefit in going for the 2.6Ghz processor upgrade, is the speed benefit tangiable under normal use and if it is, then is it really worth 160.00 gbp (Apple sure know how to charge).

Similar question with the Ram and HDD upgrades, good value or not.

Finally Apple cover at 269.00 gbp (i've had cars that cost less than this). Notwithstanding the peace of mind value of the cover, is the tech support team well informed, well trained trained and efficient and in the event of a hardware failure, how is this handle.

I know I know lots of questions, but forums are the best place to benefit from the experience of others.

And also...
RAM upgrades in particular are a ripoff - buy the RAM elsewhere and pop it in yourself. HDD upgrades I'm less sure about - I did my Macbook myself and it was dead easy, but the MBP is a lot trickier, and you're into the guts of the machine - but there are mac service people out there who will fit a 3rd party drive for you for next to nothing, so that may be the way to go.
I've got the 2.4ghz and I don't think the processor is my bottleneck very often.
Never bothered with AppleCare, never regretted not having it! Never say never though :)

zlinuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
UK
Thanks for your answers gents,

I've just ordered a mbp through the apple store, I didn't take the ram or processor upgrade but I did go for the 7200 rpm hdd and the hi res screen (non glossy).

I also left out the applecare for now as I understand that it can be purchased later if required. I've also bought mobile me which looks great if it works as advertised.

Thanks again for your input.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
wow man, way to put a damper on it, MOST people don't have issues theres just a vocal minority here who like to bitch about it here. The MBP is an awesome computer, and I personally think its not worth the extra cost to get that processor upgraded.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
Thanks for your answers gents,

I've just ordered a mbp through the apple store, I didn't take the ram or processor upgrade but I did go for the 7200 rpm hdd and the hi res screen (non glossy).

I also left out the applecare for now as I understand that it can be purchased later if required. I've also bought mobile me which looks great if it works as advertised.

Thanks again for your input.

Congrats on your purchase! I think you will find the MacBook Pro to be pretty sweet. When I got my first MacBook Pro in early 2006 it was everything I'd hoped for and then some!

donmei

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Good luck with everything. I am a recent switcher also.

My suggestion is this.

Base memory (2gb)
Base processor (the extra 100 mhz is not worthe the money)

My machine is configured this way and it is essentially instantanious in its response. Seriously, this is nothing like windows. OSX is not nearly the pig that windows is. Its like running windows 98 on modern hardwary. right now. not wait and wait and wait.

you will love it. cold boot in 35 seconds rather than 4 minutes for vista. awake from sleep in 5 seconds.

If you are an experienced windows user it will be MORE difficult for you to adjust. Check out my thread here. Its very useful.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/466100/

Don

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/466100/

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
wow man, way to put a damper on it, MOST people don't have issues theres just a vocal minority here who like to bitch about it here. The MBP is an awesome computer, and I personally think its not worth the extra cost to get that processor upgraded.

amen you always hear about the few people who have problems not the thousands who never have a single problem with their mac!! also though i highly recommend investing in applecare it really comes in handy if ever you have a problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.