Pre Retina Macbook Pros....Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comda, Oct 9, 2016.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings,

Ive had a weird turn of events in the past year and thought id share and see if anyone has the same opinion or perhaps different points of view.

Last year i was still using a white plastic macbook (3,1) as my main machine. Sadly the SSD died and the crap X3100 GPU wasn't doing well. After using a hand me down Macbook pro 5,5 for 2 months i landed a nice Retina Macbook pro 13". Used that for about 5 months and honestly aside from its battery life, i didn't like it much.

A month ago i picked up my dream machine. Its a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" (9,1) that the previous owner upgraded to the max. Its a 2.7Ghz model with the High Resolution screen (non glossy), ram upgraded to 16Gb and the guy even had a 1Tb Samsung 850 pro SSD in. Has the standard Intel HD 4000 and the Nvidia Geforce GT 650 1gb Graphics card.

Anyways, i was wondering if anyone is still using one of these machines aside from a few people i know. Ive found some pros and cons comparing the retina but I like the 9,1 a LOT more. The retina is an i5, with a 1tb SSD and 8GB ram.

So far the pros I've loved with the 9,1 i7 is the system is very fast, running everything i need, able to run windows 7 and up, ability to upgrade replace parts, ability to use my media remote from my macbook 3,1, have power LED and battery indicators. The only cons i could find of the 9,1 was its weight. The retina won that. The battery its its original but i still get about 4-6 hours depending on what I do (obviously using the Intel HD 4000 GPU and not the Nvidia card).

Anyways, I do miss the 10 hours plus (did get 14 hours once ) battery on the retina and its weight. but having this older macbook pro for the month I've enjoyed it MUCH more then i did the retina. The fact that i can upgrade/replace parts that I'm not pushed to run windows 8 and up, the fact that i still have a DVD drive and a real ethernet port. That i can replace just the battery and not pay apple for the entire top case.

So why is apple removing small things? It pissed me off when i had to open the laptop up to see if it was on/off or how much battery there was when i used the retina. The fact that it had no DVD drive, or Kensington lock. The force touch on the retina feels rather weird and the keyboard very cheap feeling. While the 9,1 feels right. its a heavier button but it feels right and I've had a much easier time typing in class.

So my question really? What do you think? Do you guys like the new Retinas? Or are you like me where you prefer the older machine? Id love to know. Thanks

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I still have a 2010 MBP but I just got a 4K display, and going back to the 2010 display is just awful. So, give me retina, please.

Don't care about loss of DVD drive, Ethernet or the lock, but the other things make me a little sad. Not worth sacrificing retina, though. I don't care about thinness at all. And while it sucks that I won't be able to plop in my TB SSD, (especially because Apple charges a ton) it's worth keeping in mind that the PCI-e storage is way faster.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think the retina MacBook pros are great, and so is the rest of their line. Ethernet, kensington lock DVD drive, etc, were all little used features. And by removing them we got the longest battery life ever -- and less things that can break over time.

I agree the LED indicators for battery life were cool, but now a days with macs having 10+ hours of battery life, chances are you'll be good for a while if you take your mac in any state. It's also possible the circuitry wasn't reliable enough or maybe took too much space up.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's an easy one, DVD's are a thing of the past and Apple is always aggressive in removing legacy components.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

I still use my 2011 (also a high-res antiglare like yours) and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. But this is mostly because I don't need a new machine, not because I dislike the Retina models. They're superior in almost every way, I think. I don't care about the Ethernet port or the DVD drive (in fact I've removed it).

One thing I will miss when I eventually get a newer one is having dual SSDs. But that's about it really.
    The Force Touch trackpad is far superior. I use one externally with my machine, and it feels weird whenever I have to use the clunky built-in older trackpad.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Welcome to 4 years ago :)

If you still have a 2012 that is loaded up and runs great, keep using it as long as you can. No reason to upgrade.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Glossy screens drive me crazy. I wish Apple would bring matte back on some form or fashion.

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Thats another thing. Yea the retina was nice when i walked around campus with it and my text books, but the 9,1 isn't too bad. Back when i used a Pentium 4 toshiba that was hell.

In the terms of the SSD, i honestly feel as if the retina's isn't really much faster then this one. Boot time is the same but the 9,1 feels faster. not sure if its because i like it better but to me the experience just feels faster and better on the 9,1. I guess to each their own.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2016 ---
    I understand not everyone uses DVD drives these days, but to each their own. Personally a Kensington lock is useful to me, as well as the light indicators. As i do miss the massive resolution from the retina display I do not miss the dirty finger prints of the reflection the glass gave off. I find the HR AG is easier on my eyes as well. Biggest thing was the no upgrades on the retina. Something that i believe is pushing some apple fan lovers away.

But as i said before to each their own i suppose.
    LOL thanks. I couldn't afford this when it first came out. Otherwise i would have jumped on it immediately. I was still stuck on a 3,1 Macbook. None the less for a 4 year old machine, I'm loving it!
    I see your point. And as it was pointed out, that apple usually pushes forward (that being true with the iMac G3's having no floppy but instead the first USB only machine) however, lately i feel apple is more removing features rather then replacing them. It seems its for their costs to be lower. Right now if i wanted a new battery in my retina they have to replace the entire top case.

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I have a early 2011 15" with the 2.2 i7. Keeping this thing till the very end! Might need a battery in the next year or two. I've got an SSD and 8 GB of RAM. This thing still flies!

10. Brammy macrumors 65816

I have a 2011 15" with the 256MB card. Not getting the 1g version is proving to be a big mistake.

I also have 8G of Ram and an SSD. My only main complaint is the screen is noticeably less bright and crisp than my 2014 MacBook Air.