Pre-Sales Advice Please - MBP 2.4gHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gkp, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gkp macrumors member

I know you have seen this question many times over, but......I am going to purchase a new MBP 2.4 Ghz in the next 2 weeks. I have been doing a lot of reading, visiting retailers to look/touch the newest MBP's. I am in LOVE! they are so amazing!
    This is replacing my desktop and PB 12", so I want to make sure I make an good informed decision. I will use for some light photoshop, editing, surfing and general use, nothing to intense. I want to buy a pro since this will be a major purchase for me and not happen again until a few years from now.
    My questions:
    1. Is now the time to buy? is there a refresh due soon for the Pro line?
    2. Is it a good idea to go through a online retailer such as macmall.com? I am worried that they will not be the most up to date version. They don't resell the refurbs right?
    3. I am confused about "Penryn"! can someone supply a link or explain this? is it the current version of MBP?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK so I am capable of answering only one of your questions, as I haven't had experience with the other two yet.
    1. Is now the time to buy? is there a refresh due soon for the Pro line?
    For both of them, I'd say yes.
    The only refresh that will come anytime soon is a processor and maybe RAM/graphics upgrade. But as the 2.4 is more than powerful enough for your needs, I'd say go buy now, also because these updates will probably not happen until summer.
    As for where to buy, unless you can find a great deal online, I would buy from an Apple store, because if you have any problems with it it's easier to return it (as I said, I don't have experience with this, as all of my electronics are ordered by a technician in my dads company)
    Hopefully this helped a bit at least, and enjoy your Pro once you buy it!

3. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

I'd say buy now..
    amazon.com has em for $150 cheaper and no tax ;)

4. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

1. You will not see updates to the Pro notebook line for a long time, the are 'mid cycle', meaning it is going to be quite a while, and could be longer than anyone expects. If it were me, I'd be comfortable to buy.

2. I am in the UK, but I would on buy from Apple Online/Retail. Other Apple vendors may be selling off old stock - but it's usually fairly easy to tell (new body on the new macbook/pro)

3. Penryn is the type of processor used in the MBP since the previous model introduced in Feb 08, it was known to be faster and cooler than its predecessor mainly due to its smaller architechture.

It is still used in the current MBP models, but they are not referred to as such because the 'penryn' has been around for a while now. The previous MBP may be referred to as the 'penryn macbook pro' as it was the first model which had it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Penryn for more info

Hope that helps

Remember: Apple educational discount if you are a student.

5. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone!

This helps me out greatly! I will order next week! Already in my amazon.com shopping cart.
    Best regards
    GKP