Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Is there some particular reason why we need to keep pointing out the Pre's problems?

The iPhone had similar issues when it came out as well and has advanced substantially over the past two years. I expect the Pre will as well.

hbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Is there some particular reason why we need to keep pointing out the Pre's problems?

The iPhone had similar issues when it came out as well and has advanced substantially over the past two years. I expect the Pre will as well.

That may well be, but this is now three years later and the bar is a lot higher. Plus, there are a large number of problems with the Pre.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
That may well be, but this is now three years later and the bar is a lot higher. Plus, there are a large number of problems with the Pre.

Yes, we know your iPhone is better. It's a first gen phone, quit your crying. So far, the Pre has been nothing but a huge success. It has already broke Sprint sales records. I woulg give you the link, but I'm on my iPhone. It was on Yahoo.

Oh, btw, my iPhone is still having signal problems.

racers

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Yes, we know your iPhone is better. It's a first gen phone, quit your crying. So far, the Pre has been nothing but a huge success. It has already broke Sprint sales records. I woulg give you the link, but I'm on my iPhone. It was on Yahoo.
keyword Sprint :p

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My iPhone dropped calls like a mo fo when I got it two years ago. It also had sucky speaker volume and Safari would crash everything regularly.

What's your point?

I remember sitting in the Apple Store one morning watching the Genius open 4 BRAND NEW (not refurb) iPhone boxes trying to find one that didnt have a negative black screen on it. Finally got one after 4.

1st 2G iPhone - Would not complete a charge
2nd - Negative Black screen
3rd - Negative Black screen
4th - Negative Black screen
5th - Good all-round

1st 3G iPhone - rattling sound when shaking, ringer switch fell off
2nd 3G iPhone - Good except for a few specks of dust under the glass

Don't think we should be poking fun at the Pre too much. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The bar was "high" two years ago. Two, by the way, not three. The iPhone had a ton of issues. Most have been fixed. Most of those, with OS upgrades. It's premature to call the Pre a failure by any standard.

Also, it's unfortunate that many people fail to understand that a successful Pre will yield better iPhones than a failed Pre. Competition drives change. Anyone wonder why the 3G S isn't even better (yes, I like the enhancements, but they aren't stunning)? It's because no one has caught up yet. I surely hope someone does, and soon.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
1st 3G iPhone - rattling sound when shaking, ringer switch fell off
2nd 3G iPhone - Good except for a few specks of dust under the glass

Don't think we should be poking fun at the Pre too much. :)

Same as above but also to add to my experience the first phone the sync cable would not lock it, problem withthe connector.

Its easy to forget the issues with the original especially if you stepped right into the 3G.

hbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007

Oh, btw, my iPhone is still having signal problems.

Who's crying. Just sharing information. For what it is worth, I got the Pre and returned it yesterday- hot, could not connect to corporate exchange server, and various other problems. Other people's experience may be different. As to crying, it sounds like you are offended that I am sharing problems with the Pre.

hbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
The bar was "high" two years ago. Two, by the way, not three. The iPhone had a ton of issues. Most have been fixed. Most of those, with OS upgrades. It's premature to call the Pre a failure by any standard.

Also, it's unfortunate that many people fail to understand that a successful Pre will yield better iPhones than a failed Pre. Competition drives change. Anyone wonder why the 3G S isn't even better (yes, I like the enhancements, but they aren't stunning)? It's because no one has caught up yet. I surely hope someone does, and soon.

Not calling it a failure. And I think Apple needs good competition.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Who's crying. Just sharing information. For what it is worth, I got the Pre and returned it yesterday- hot, could not connect to corporate exchange server, and various other problems. Other people's experience may be different. As to crying, it sounds like you are offended that I am sharing problems with the Pre.

Why would we care about the Pre's problems? Now you're just being the worst kind of fan-boy.

A lot of people bought them, but a lot are going to be returning them. There are numerous quality issues.

Nope, they will be exchanging them just like everyone did with the numerous iPhone issues in both the original and 3G. Just like the iPhone, they bought the Pre because they want the Pre, and once they exchange for a good one they will be very happy with the Pre.

hbg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Why would we care about the Pre's problems? Now you're just being the worst kind of fan-boy.

You might not. And fanboy I am not. I got the Pre because I was excited about its potential. A lot of threads here have iPhone owners sharing the thought they might consider it. I am just sharing my experience. You don't have to read the thread or waste time commenting on it if you are not interested in. So what's the problem?

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

Thank (demi) God! A voice of reason.

This is MacRumors, not PalmRumors! :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Let's play nice, people. I'd prefer to not have to delete other posts and their replies. Thanks. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It looks like, among the other many problems, many Pre owners are also now having problems holding a signal. See the forum link below at Pre Central.net:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-p...return-pre-if-they-dont-fix-signal-issue.html
People on the internet b*tching about something? You don't say. ;)

It will take more than a few for the Pre, or any product, being out in the wild before people can get an accurate idea of what problems it does and does not have. And even then a forum dedicated to said product (or company) will be an incredibly inaccurate cross section of users because people are most likely to post when they need to b*tch or need help w/a problem. If someone who didn't know anything about Apple came to Macrumors and started thumbing through the threads they'd think Apple made some of the worst products ever released to the public. If someone's Mac doesn't work right they most likely will start a thread looking for advice. If their Mac works fine do you think they'll start a thread saying, "Hey, everything is working fine on my Mac today"? Of course not.

It's like going to a hospital for a day, seeing so many sick people and concluding that the region must be very sickly in general because you met many more sick people then healthy people at the hospital.

Lethal

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

So, you bought the Pre and only gave a few days? What about just exchanging it for a new one, much the same way people on here exchange their many iPhones, looking for the perfect one? Or, you could have just waited for a simple firmware update as no software is perfect out the gate.

Sorry about your experience, but it doesn't mean everyone is having your same problems. Deep down inside you probably really liked it and you feel you now have to badmouth it to justify your decision to return it. You should have gave it more of a chance, must the same way people on here gave Apple a full year to get their stuff together. And, AT&T is still trying to get their crap together.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007

Couldn't agree more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.