pre-signing for a shipment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by warensn, Jul 13, 2008.

1. warensn macrumors member

Has anyone pre-signed for their shipment? I don't know if I'll be home when it gets delivered. Is this an OK thing to do?
    I get my shipment on Thursday. I'm excited.
    Hello I'm a Mac..

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I don't think they allow presigning..you may have to pick it up. To my knowledge, unless you've already got your waiver in the carrier's database in advance, the sign-at-the-door type is not acceptable. (If anyone has better information, please share :))

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

From what I've heard of, and have experienced, I know you should be able to presign.

Check the Shipment email apple gives you, there will be a FAQ link of some sort.

Go through the page and you'll find a section that talks about presigning for the shipment.

I believe you just have to fill it out and leave it somewhere that the delivery guy can find it.

EDIT: Found exact info from apple's website

"Option 1: Pre-sign with Apple
    Once you receive the Ship Notification email from Apple, visit online Order Status and click the “Pre-sign for this shipment” link next to the Tracking Number.

Follow the instructions to print and complete the “Shipment Release Authorization” form and leave it on your door for the carrier prior to 8 a.m. the day of expected delivery.

You can designate a preferred delivery location (e.g., front door, back door, immediate neighbor, or building manager). If you designate an address other than the one specified on the package, someone must sign for the package.

If you want to pre-sign for more than one shipment, you need to print, sign, and leave a Shipment Release Authorization for each one.

For safety and security reasons, all deliveries are subject to the driver's discretion
    "
    http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery

Hope this helps.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Umm, wouldn't this mean that anyone could walk away with it, including the driver? I might seem like a huge skeptic, but it's been known to happen before.

5. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've presigned for several things ordered from the Apple store. The form you leave for the driver will have a place for you to state where you want the package to be delivered. Choose a safe place that won't be seen by people walking or driving by.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

why yes, that's exactly what could happen

8. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I have tried this a few times, but the driver had no idea what it was for, thought it was for a previously undelivered package or something, hence it did no good.

I wish you could just choose to not have to sign for it. Where I live, its not a problem. wouldnt be hard to have a box to uncheck or even a place where you had to specificly state you didnt want to sign for the order when ordering.

9. warensn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I won't pre sign for the shipment.
    Now to clean off my desk....