Pre users just realizing the limitations of CDMA, lol

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macintosh.apple, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Pared macrumors 65816

Ha.

While funny, what does this have to do with the iPhone?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

I don't see that as a limitation, I would rather have bacground apps on my iPhone

4. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

This was a major problem when I had my 2G iPhone, as Edge doesn't support simultaneous voice and data. If I was surfing or using the maps, calls would go straight to voicemail. If you happened to get a call while the phone was fetching email, the call wouldn't go through. I was really frustrated that I seemed to be missing calls for no reason, until I did some reasearch and realized what was going on.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Considering AT&T's poor 3G coverage, plus the fact that even where their map shows coverage there are many 3G dead spots, this is still a major problem for 3G/3GS owners. Even though I lived smack in the middle of 3G coverage I had only EDGE at my house. Also the campus I went to school was fine outside but inside most buildings I got only EDGE. I remember once at Walmart I tried to compare prices and I didn't even get EDGE, I was stuck on GRPS.

At least on Verizon if your phone is using data and a call comes through the data will pause to allow the call to ring to the phone. On AT&T if your phone is in EDGE mode and data is being used the call goes straight to voicemail. Due to poor coverage at the hospital I work at, and school I was constantly getting these random voicemails with my phone never ringing. It took me a while to realize why.

Oh yea, the CDMA limitation is also a limitation on EDGE as well.

6. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

I try not to laugh, but it's soo irresistible:p

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They probably laugh at us because they can have Pandora playing while sending a text at the same time :rolleyes:

8. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

I was talking about the that fell down the stairs earlier, but I agree;)

9. deenybird macrumors regular

lol that thread is a hilarious mess of ignorance.
    and i can't believe anyone's complaining about the iphone's lack of backgrounding now that geohot's made jailbreaking a 1 click, 30 second process..... I mean seriously, 1 click, and should you ever change your mind, you're just a 'restore' away from being back where you were.
    once jailbroken, backgrounding is beautiful thanks to the free app 'Proswitcher'.
    I could never go to CDMA after being able to use simultaneous voice and data. I'd just miss it way too much.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

And even a greater question; what was he doing on a Pre forum? :eek:

11. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the Pre, I know it's not early as good as the iPhone, but I still like it. I am also in love with the new Nexus one:)

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Should be US Pre users since there's a GSM version with no such limitations

13. gigemzach macrumors 6502

"They probably laugh at us because they can have Pandora playing while sending a text at the same time"

I have 3G where I live and I have yet to find how to text and listen to Pandora at the same time. Sorry if I am being stupid, but I just got the iPhone for Christmas. Thanks!!

14. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Re-read what was originally typed. The Pre users laugh at us because they CAN have Pandora playing while sending a text at the same time. Meaning we can't.

15. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

There's no way to jailbreak Sprint's network though.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Is there a VoIP app for the Pre? If so, they can do voice and data together.

As someone else pointed out above, the GSM/UMTS version of the Pre can also do both, of course.

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That doesn't sound right, it's supposed to drop the data connection and ring.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    CDMA phones will pause the data connection and allow the ring to go through.

GSM/EDGE sends calls to voicemail.

19. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

You can have the iPod part playing while sending a text at the same time. Still the same thing.