prebinding on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macswitcha2, Mar 18, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I was able to do this on OS X 3.9....can this be done on Snow Leopard?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Prebinding was replaced in 10.5 (and therefore also 10.6) with a central shared cache. Open a terminal and type

man update_dyld_shared_cache

for more info.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

And this will help apps run better together?

Also, the sumo pre_binding line seems to not work with Tiger either. What's up with that?

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

Prebinding is now (almost) completely automatic. You should not have to ever worry about it. If you really want to you can force re-binding, but outside of some odd circumstances this is not necessary (or helpful).

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

On my emac it may. I did a clean install of Tiger on my emac formerly jaguar and it is freezing and hanging constantly. I have sufficient space on the HD but perhaps may have to upgrade to more memory.

I wonder if forcing prebinding may help

6. larkost macrumors 6502a

It will almost certainly not help with freezing and hanging. Prebinding only speeds up loading of programs, nothing else. Your system has other problems. you say you did a "clean install", did you actually erase and get back?

And generically with non-fatal hangs my first suspect is always a bad font, since they are easy to diagnose and fix (in Leopard and above), but people never look for them.

But a bigger point is that we are talking about an eMac here, so something that is more than a little old. You should be evaluating moving on. But if you can't (and this really is not a great answer, since it is going to die sometime), then I would try and see if it is a battery issue, since when the motherboard battery starts to go you get odd issues. Make sure that the time/date is correct, then turn off time syncing and leave the computer unplugged for a couple of days. Then when you plug it back in if the time/date is all wrong then you know it has a bad battery (it being correct is not necessarily proof that it is not, but it would indicate to move to the next suspect).

Edit: oh... and putting more memory into this old a computer is a waste of resources.