Precautions and Steps before upgrading to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machomer, May 28, 2008.

?

Which method to install Leopard?

1. Clean install of Leopard

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Upgrade option to Leopard

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. machomer macrumors regular

I currently have VMWare installed with Vista (I prefer XP over Vista, I regret using Vista).

What steps do I need to do to safely transfer all of my files saved in Windows and Mac OS?

Will I need to reinstall VMWare and if so do I need to contact VMWare to get a new license?

Since Leopard comes with BootCamp, this will create a parition right. Should I install VMWare to rely on this parition for BootCamp?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

When you install Leopard, you can choose to transfer files from another Mac, another Mac partition, or a backup. Just make a back up using Time Machine if you can, and transfer it after you install.

If you are using the upgrade option instead of a clean install, which I don't recommend, then you don't have to do anything; it'll take care of itself.

3. trentoncain macrumors newbie

trentoncain

I would recommend doing an archive and install for the Mac OS upgrade and copying the folder you have the VMWare OS's in to a DVD or thumbdrive.

You will probably need to reinstall VMWare but you should be able to use the same license key you used for Tiger.

You should use BootCamp if you want to dual-boot Windows Vista and OSX. Use VMWare if you only want to run Vista in a virtual machine on top of OSX.

Hope that helps!

4. newfroggy117 macrumors newbie

Hello Machomer,

First off, from the sounds of it, you are doing the right thing in backing up your files, doing a fresh install of Leopard, then bringing all of your files into that new installation. Using the option to "Archive and Install" over the former OS and just keep all your personal files on the computer has been giving many people headaches (including myself). So, I would Definitely suggest doing an absolutely fresh install to just bypass those weird issues. Then, when the install is done, just choose the option to bring your files from another Mac onto that one (from your backup disk to the internal), and you'll be all set there.

Now, to back up your Mac files, I'd use something like Carbon Copy Cloner for more than one reason (link at bottom of post). First reason: it's free. Secondly, it'll clone your various folders instead of just copying them, so you're sure not to loose hidden files. (Note: It'll ask you for your administrator password before it will do any actual backup. This is because they want to protect your files from whomever might want to steal your data. It's perfectly safe, so don't worry about that).

About your VMWared Vista bit: VMWare uses a file to save your Windows install in, so you don't need to "backup" that bit. Unless you've moved it, this fake partition will be in your Documents folder in a folder named "Virtual Machines." If you just use CCC to backup your Documents folder, the VMWare bit will be automatically brought onto your external drive. And, yes, you will need to reinstall it most likely, because I'm pretty sure VMWare runs different versions/builds for Leopard than earlier versions (hardware/OS/path differences). You will not, however, need to buy a new key. If you bought it, it's yours. Whether you upgrade OS's or switch machines, it's yours. Just make sure you only have it installed on one, and legally, you're fine. If you do have any issues with that, call their tech support and they'll straighten things out for you.

BootCamp will create a partition (if you choose to do so), but your VMWare OS will not run there. You would need to install Vista straight, and then boot into it instead of Leopard (and have to go through probably hours and hours with Windows tech support to get your key re-activated, because Windows has a "one and done" policy when it comes to their OS installations). So, I'd just stick with VMWare within your Mac partition. Plus, you then wouldn't be giving up space to Vista that you aren't really going to use, and will not be able to get back without re-backing up, wiping the disk, and reinstalling. :p

Also, with some versions of Vista (i.e. what "edition" and where you got it from), I've read there is an option to call Windows and get a "downgrade" key or something. Might be worth a shot, if you don't mind spending a "few" hours on it. I know I like XP a lot better from the little bit I've seen. :p

Hope that wasn't too long and actually helped. If you have any more questions, feel free to post and we'll help how we can.

-NewFroggy

Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260

5. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I love about our community, everyone is so helpful.

My first question to the replies so far is to do a clean install or to use the upgrade option. So far there's two conflicting recommendations. I know that it might vary from one person's experience to the next, so I created a poll to see the most popular option.

I know I will have more questions...

Thanks

6. trentoncain macrumors newbie

trentoncain

I would recommend a clean install as well for a "just in case" type of scenario. Looking further into it I do see others posting that they have had issues with the archive and install option I listed earlier.

Hope that helps!

7. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

I need advice on what to do next. I didn't get very far with CCC. I have an external HD that I use with my mac and windows. The drive won;t show up in CCC as a arge volume. The CCC forum had a post that suggested the HD needs to be formatted for a mac. I have alot of information saved on the HD.

What are my options on backing up/cloning my Mac HD so I can install Leopard cleanly?