Precautions for adding RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Karvel, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

Hi I've just got some RAM from Crucial for my 1.83GHZ iMac and 2.0GHZ MacBook and will be going to attempt(!!) to install the memory in both today. But I would like some "advice" on best-practice during RAM installation -- I've been told to wear shoes :)p) and to not wear acrylic? And that I should touch a bit of the metal inside the case to get rid of static? (Where would I touch on that little slot on the iMac?) Also, the MacBook RAM is apparently pretty hard to push in?!

(sorry for all the questions)

Mind you, the machine's probably more scared of me than I am of it.. :D

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Make sure to discharge yourself first/grounding yourself. Other than that make sure to put the ram in oriented the right direction (in both directions).

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

installing ram on the macbook is a breeze, but it can be a little hard to tell when the ram is completely inserted in the slot. when you feel like you've done good enough, push some more.

4. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

And how do I do that? :eek:

Also: aside from just going to About This Mac, are there any other programmes etc. that could 'check' if the RAM is properly seated/installed?

Actually that reminds me, I remember once being told to "touch the taps in your kitchen" to ground yourself..:D Should I leave the power cable plugged in (but obviously nothing turned on) or take it out?

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It isn't going to boot if the RAM isn't seated. It isn't going to show the amount you installed if the amount you installed wasn't installed correctly.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You're just trying to get rid of the static charge you build up so about anything will do. Oh and have it unplugged.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

8. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much. :)

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Did you manage to add the RAM yet?

10. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

I am just about to do it in half an hour! :) *excite*

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

Oh my God the anticipation is building!!!!!!!!!!

12. gvdv macrumors regular

I just installed 4GB RAM in my Mac Pro about 25 minutes ago.

I carry A LOT of static, and have a carpet very near the wooden floor on which my Mac Pro stands. So, I followed the instructions in the Mac Pro's manual to not walk around on the carpet (usually walking across it to my hi fi builds up a static charge which 'dissipates' when I touch the hi fi).

I also put my humidifier on very near the Mac for about 10 minutes before I changed the RAM, discharged my self by touching the Mac case, then unplugged the Mac from the wall, and made sure that I didn't move around too much (sitting on the floor with the new RAM and computer all within reach) to avoid building up a charge.

Everything seems to have gone well, and I am going to follow this procedure again to install a new hard drive.

In winter in gets very dry here in Canada, and I always try to have my humidifier on to minimize the static charge build up (and mostly to keep my guitars and sitars from drying out), although it doesn't eliminate it.

13. Frisco macrumors 68020

Okay this thread has gotten out of control (neurosis).

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If the humidity is in double digits, it ain't dry. :D

In a (former) professional practice in here in Phoenix, where the ambient was sub-15%, conditioned around 5-7% we ALWAYS left the power supply plugged in to provide guaranteed ground. The moment you unplug it, the unit's potential floats away from earth, and other precautions become moot. Never used ground straps or mats, either. Just keep it plugged in and a body part touching the chassis at all times. Never got shocked, never lost RAM (when it cost $5/MB!) or anything else, for that matter. Dozens of servers, hundreds or workstations built & serviced that way.

It's just a matter of knowing what you're doing, maintaining protocol, and keeping respect for the hazards. Pretty much the same thing for everything else in life except sleeping. ;)