*Precisely when* does Mac Address Book sync with Google contacts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damian, Oct 14, 2011.

1. damian macrumors member

I'm trying to figure out precisely when Mac Address Book syncs with Google contacts.

According to http://www.google.com/support/contactsync/ the sync happens hourly (on Mac OS 10.6; I assume this applies to 10.7 also).

However, in my experience, it doesn't always happen hourly. I made some changes to Address Book last night. I checked this morning, and the changes had not yet been synchronized to Google contacts. Perhaps the problem was that my Mac went to sleep.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the sync really happen every hour, regardless of circumstances?

2. Does Address Book need to be open in order for the sync to occur?

3. Does the hourly clock run independent of Address Book? So, for example, does the sync occur every hour, on the hour? Or does the clock start ticking every time I open (or close) Address Book? Or some other scenario?

4. Does the sync happen when I open or close Address Book?

5. Is there any way to know when a sync is occurring or has occurred other than manually comparing Address Book with Google Contacts?

6. Is it possible to set up Address Book to sync with Google Contacts via Exchange (I know m.google.com doesn't work; I'm wondering whether there's a different Exchange server that works)?

I know I can manually sync contacts by choosing "sync now" under the double circular arrow icon on the right side of the menu bar, while in Address Book, but I'm interesting in automatic sync, not manual sync.

2. PMaggan macrumors newbie

I've been trying to search for this answer for a while now and still haven't found one. Any luck on your end?

3. damian thread starter macrumors member

Nope, no luck on my end. If you find the answer elsewhere, please post it here.

4. PMaggan macrumors newbie

Not really an answer, but I made some changes to a couple of my contacts on my MacPro and within about an hour the changes were reflected both on my iPhone and in Gmail. I'd still like to know what the frequency of the sync is, but it seems like the delay isn't too terrible.