Precision tools?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forza69, Oct 29, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I don't know how many of you fix your own phones/electronics like I do, but I just wanted to get some input from those of you that do as to where you purchased your tools/kits. There's one I'm interested in buying at the moment from iFixit (pro tech toolkit) but it's a bit pricey at $65.
    Any recommendations?

2. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Seriously nobody? Is there another part of this forum that I haven't seen where people talk about this kinda stuff?

3. Partridge, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Partridge macrumors 6502

I have the ifixit kit. The bits are of ok quality, but a little soft. With the tinier bits like the pentalobes, it's pretty easy to damage the bits by applying too much torque. It's a reasonably easy fix to sand off a bit of the damaged bit to expose a fresher surface, but I expected more.

For non-pentalobe purposes, if you want a good set of tools, go german, something like Wiha micro bits. I use those for everything else and they are great. I don't think they make pentalobes yet though.

Edit: Ok, I had to check.

Wiha now makes standalone pentalobe drivers, they're about $7-10 each.
    http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/267serie.htm

I'm still waiting for them to release the bits for the set I already have.
    http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/759_microsets.htm

A good set of drivers is well worth it every time you don't strip out a screw with a poorly formed bit.
    You can save some money by prioritizing which bits you commonly need and getting a set that specializes in those.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If there is a Fry's near you, check them out, they got tons, cheap to $$$.