Preconfigured iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by raphytaffy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. raphytaffy macrumors newbie

Hi all, my sister received an iPad2 preconfigured with some files and videos for a dental course she is taking. It is unregistered and we were informed that registering the device would erase the files preloaded on her iPad and they don't offer an option to get those files back.

I thought about jailbreaking it since it is 4.3.3 and using some kind of app to browse the files on the iPad, then copying it over to her laptop so she has access to the files on both devices.. but there's no Safari! And no app store. Is there any possible way to do this or is it a lost cause?

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

3. raphytaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it was. I just turned that off. Now what should I do?

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Well presumeably safari is back now?

Does she have to hand it back after the course? If so I would just leave it as is.

Does settings>Store have an Apple ID tied to it?

5. raphytaffy, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

raphytaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, Safari is not back. I see options to turn it from Off -> On, but these are greyed out with restrictions enabled and disabled. The one things on are Ping, Deleting Apps, Location, and Accounts.

No, she does not have to hand it back after the course. The people who run the course are in the process of submitting their app to the app store to await approval, after which she can have access to those documents through the app. That's her only option if she chooses to register her course and delete the preconfigured files. Seems really stupid to me since you'll have access to those files anyway after the app is launched, which is why I'd like to get these files off the iPad for her.

Yes, Settings > Store has the Apple ID of the dental course email used to preconfigure the device.

EDIT: Downloaded iPhone Explorer and was able to export these files with ease. Thanks for trying to help!

6. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

If there's no app store on there then she won't be able to get the app when it's out.

Maybe see if an app like this gives you access to the files
    http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Otherwise jailbreak and use Ifile I guess. Worst case scenario is the iPad will need restoring which you'll have to get them to do if you want the files back.

Seems odd they don't want the iPad back though ! Must be an expensive course!

7. raphytaffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they said something about the cost of printing and distributing materials for everyone was more costly than giving everyone iPads with the files loaded on there. Must be crazy expensive!