Preconvert videos for iDvd in batch?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lieb39, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone -

Is it possible to 'preconvert' the videos I'm going to use in iDvd so that I can convert all my movie files overnight - than burn the iDvd projects quickly (As it'll only need to render the menus - nothing else)?

Software / Settings for this, so I can do it in bulk?

Cheers!

lieb39

2. millap macrumors regular

In previous versions of iDVD you could simply drag and drop any Quicktime .mov file onto your project and it would start to encode those assets in the background.

I haven't used it for about 2 years now so I don't know if this is still the case, but give it a go anyway.

3. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

It does but I want to convert them outside of iDVD - so when I do use them in iDvd, it doesnt need to convert them.

So I can do all my file converting overnight - and than burn to multi DVDs during the day.

Cheers

4. millap macrumors regular

I don't think you can use anything other than iDVD to do the encoding if you intend to use iDVD to author the disc. I believe that DVD studio Pro allows you to import .m2a and .m2v files which are already encoded as mpeg2, but it's quite expensive. In fact, now that I think back to when I used it last, I believe that there is a separate application that comes with it called 'Compressor' which will do exactly what you are looking for. It also supports batch encoding of the assets.

If you plan to leave the assets encoding overnight, I don't see any reason why you still can't use iDVD to do this. If you used a different piece of software to encode and left that encoding overnight instead, what have you gained?