Predicament: 4s Died Today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zachlegomaniac, Aug 13, 2013.

1. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

So the title kind of says it all.

My 4s completely died today (of course holding out for 5s at this point), and I told the Apple Genius I wanted to pay $199 for a replacement/refurb 4s. He looked for one in stock and said a 64gb 4s (the one I was replacing) would not be in for over a week.

I told him I knew that the newer iteration is basically weeks away, but I need a phone, regardless, so was in a predicament (no landline or other phone at home). He told me to get the 5 and return it within the 30 day return period, and if I had to do it twice in order to get the new phone to go for it. He said there are no questions asked and he really didn't feel like it would be a problem. He also said that upon return you regain your upgrade eligibility through AT&T.

Now I'm home and realizing that even if the new iphone came out tomorrow I would not have my eligibility to buy it with the day it rolled out as I have this one here in my hands.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. andiwm2003, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

return the iPhone and buy a cheap simple phone off ebay or craigslist and put your sim card in that one. they have usable new phones for $20 on ebay.

it makes sense to have a back up phone around for exactly these situations. I have my old 3s still around and never sold it just in case my 4s dies.

3. Giuly, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

+1, get yourself a Motorola StarTAC and enjoy the pains and pleasures of 90ies technology. I hear the StarTAC 130 also comes with messaging. :D

More seriously though, a new Nokia 111 for $35 will be up to the task. I used to carry one similar to it (Nokia 16xx) as a secondary phone back in the day when the iPhones still prematurely ran out of battery, the battery on those Nokias lasts for like a week and they have outstanding reception.
    [​IMG]

4. macman312 macrumors 6502

Get a used 4/4s off eBay then get a 5s when it comes out

5. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Perfect. I'll grab one of those cheap-o's for now. I searched the att site and couldn't find anything that cheap. I knew they must be out there though.

Thank you, again.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can't use the words "At&t" and "cheap" in the same sentence, paragraph, forum post or even on the same day together. :D

You will have to look at ebay or craigslist for a temporary phone. Make sure it takes the same size sim card you have in your 4S. If I recall, the 3GS had the full size sim, the 4 and 4S had a smaller sim and the 5 has an even smaller sim. Those feature phones will most likely work with a full-sized sim. You might be able to get a sim adapter to allow you to use your 4S sim in a phone that normally takes a full sized sim.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, for the kicks of it why don't you get a Blu Jenny Phone from Amazon for $28?

BLU T172i Jenny Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black/Red by BLU

8. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

That's not a bad deal!

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

These phones where just a few years ago top of the line and very expensive. Well, seems I'm getting too old for tec.

10. Giuly, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Nokia above is factory-unlocked, so you can just slide in any AT&T or T-Mobile SIM and off you go, no need to get one directly from AT&T (they do however have GoPhones for $15 that work with any AT&T SIM). I've changed the phone above, as the Nokia 100 does not work on AT&T, the Nokia 111 does however work on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

I forgot that you need a Micro-to-Mini-SIM adapter, which is $1.45.

11. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Hmmm... I thought when the genius took the SIM card out of my dead 4s he put it in the new 5 he suggested that I buy/return. I'll double check on the size and its compatibility with the many options everyone has listed as an interim phone for me above.

How complicated. I wish they just had the 4s out-of-warranty replacement (or could have received one within a few days) for me in the store so I didn't have to do this temporary upgrade thing the genius suggested. Looks like Apple doesn't have many more 64GB 4s phones around anymore.

Oh well. The price I have to pay for wanting the latest and greatest :). Wish that 4s held on for another couple of months (or I had purchased AppleCare).