Predicament! Apple US or UK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S-mac-k, Apr 6, 2011.

1. S-mac-k macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok to cut a long story, I now have the option of buying an MBP stateside. I was going to order/had ordered my 15" MBP but that's another story. 

So my question is this. Has anyone purchased an MBP & managed to get it through customs easy enough? Did you keep it in the original packaging or did you remove?

I have a best friend going over shortly who works with macs for a living and is prepared to take the gamble. Another issue is it not being bto unless I manage to get a family member to order/purchase & my friend then collect. 

The saving is significant. Around £650! That = a Vertex 3 120gb in main bay & vertex 2 180gb in the optibay. 

I also will have to wait around 6 weeks. I have the money now to buy or do I wait, make a killing & take the risk of paying import duty? 

I hate this sh*t!

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

The last time I checked, there is no import duty on laptops...

20% VAT is another story though :D

Your best bet is to post the packaging and receipts back to yourself. If your friend does get caught, then best case scenario, they'll have to cough up the VAT. Worst case, they get a fine and the goods confiscated and he won't be your friend anymore! :D

Moral and legal issues aside. Will you be happy with a US layout keyboard?

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is some import duty, not sure how much. Some people avoid it though.

Have you accounted for sales tax? US prices tend to shoe the before tax rate as it varies by area. For instance in NYC it is nearly 9%, in other areas it is lower and occasionally 0%.

The key issue is you really should buy AppleCare if buying from the US. Without that there is nothing you can do to force Apple to do a repair if they don't cooperate. (In the UK I don't normally bother with extended warranties as UK consumer law is very strong and useful if you are persistent, and if worst comes to worst small claims is there. So you could consider that price difference as well)

4. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some valid points gents. I was aware of the sales tax issue but don't feel too concerned with that potential fee if I'm making as large a saving (still in the region of £500+). Is the US layout much different? It's all English ain't it? Goods confiscated? Seems a bit extreme.

This is the reason why I love this forum. Other people's opinion & experience count for so much. You've opened my eyes to a few other potential hazards. Much appreciated. I think I'll buy local. Which ain't really local when I think about it. Shame.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There isn't much different with the keyboard, you can see it here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841

Main difference is there is no £ or € symbols. Plus they write "control" instead of "ctrl" etc (our American cousins clearly get confused :p). The enter/return key is a bit different.

You are supposed to pay VAT on some imports. I went to www.dutycalculator.com typed in MacBook Pro 15" and put $1799 + 4% sales tax, then $350 for AppleCare (which you need, like I said). The total cost is £1643, including £272 fees.

Some people avoid customs duty, but that is on you.

The price of a base 15" in the UK is £1549. As I said, if you know your stuff and have some cojones you can avoid needing AppleCare in the UK (saving the need for an extra £285).

6. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a base model. I want top spec. Going to install my own 8gb RAM, 2 SSDs & if possible, somewhere to insert my organ into?

Trying to future proof it for a while at least. I don't care about new designs or refreshes because this thing will eat anything you throw at it.

Like I said, the predicament is challenging because I could make a saving but if the thing breaks & it's bought through someone else then the hassle of getting them to send it back etc etc.

My head hurts...

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

So lets say your friend buys the laptop here, mails the packing back to you and puts the laptop in his bag as a carry on back home. When he goes through customs, who are they to say or know that isn't his laptop that he had when he came to the US to begin with? Unless he declares it as new, it is a personal effect isn't it?

I travel in and out of countries with a computer in my bag all the time, I have never been questioned about it being new or purchased while on my trip.

8. Usquebaugh macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It should be fine, just don't have him bring the packaging with him.

As to apple care isn't the 1 year basic international as well? I thought the coverage was the same you just get it extended an extra 2 years plus phone support. Something to double check.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes it is one year international. The point is, if it breaks out of warranty in the UK and it was purchased in the US there is nothing that can be done except ask very nicely. Buy in the UK and there are still rights after the warranty ends. UK law is so good that extended warranties are often a waste of money. Hence, when importing AppleCare is very important!

10. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

Its all good and well making a saving but now you guys got me thinking...

If I buy US I potentially have some problems if the thing breaks but make a saving. (Will it break? Me think not)

If I buy UK I'm paying more but have advantageous customer support/conditions without paying extra. (This is according to my fellow countryman iStudentUK)

I'm not worried about my friend taking the risk. After all, I don't think he'll get stopped and frisked. He'd probably enjoy that...

Probably going to go UK. If I get it now, when there is a problem (which I'm sure there won't be) I can have it sorted by a local Apple rep. I'm paying a lot more and'll have to save a week longer for my upgrades but thats the price you pay for quality equipment.

Just hope the music I make makes me some wedge outa all this.

I hope my terminolgy does not confuse. Apologies if so.

11. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

I just realised iStudentUK that we almost got the same Apple gear. I'm almost about to enjoy my first MBP lol. Never suffered with the deathgrip though to be fair. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 4 tho. Had loadsa probs. Dropped this one down the bog and it still works. Work that one out!?!?

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I wish I had the Pro, I have the old, white, non-unibody MacBook. :(

Three iPhone 4s is a lot! Dropping it in the toilet may have voided the warranty!