Prediction for the future of the Touchbar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waxonwaxoff, Oct 28, 2016.

1. waxonwaxoff macrumors newbie

Ok so i just read an article on the from page here thats an interview with Craig, Phil and Sir Jony and then a vision for Apples future plans for the touch bar came to mind.

Every time I read an article or interview and the subject of touch screen for macs the answer is always "its not practical". He is right Touchscreen works on a phone or tablet as you hold it close to you, you do everything on that small screen, laptops and desktops more so you are distanced from the device and you have a separate area you interact with (the keyboard) that is far more intuitive plus your not obscuring what your looking at with your fingers. I have tried pc's with a touch screen, it doesn't feel right and its awkward, I type and then move my hand to the screen to scroll... hmmm felt very awkward to me.

In the interview Jony states that there are great things ahead for touch bar. Watching the presentation yesterday I thought the touch bar was neat but I also thought it was kinda cramped.

There are many professions (and activities) where you not only use a computer but a large specialized peripheral for things like film editing or colour grading, etc etc, your working on your computer but you also have this specialized peripheral to help you do a specific task much faster, and these specialized peripherals usually cost a lot.

My prediction is that in a few years the full mac lineup, Laptops but also desktops will have a touch control centre. Imagine the laptop with an oled screen for the entire keyboard area, not just the function keys but where all the keys are. Writing an email, or a word doc its a keyboard, editing film footage and you get a full panel of specialized controls (not just a strip where the function keys are), Creating digital art the Touch Control centre can give you all the tools in the control centre or switch to a wacom like canvas for you to create your art (obviously apple pencil compatible).

They can also release a magic keyboard 3 or a touch control centre peripheral for the desktop macs thats the OLED control centre.

A move like this from Apple would make sense to me as they always seem to take an idea say "No thats not going to happen, its not practical" and then a few years later they hold a special event recount the story of the masses asking for touchscreen on macs (or whatever it might be), how it wasn't practical and then unveiling their solution which bypasses the limitations, makes them looks like geniuses fixing the world as we know it and the collective masses praise Apple for being so cutting edge.

Anyway thats my prediction I am no authority, I'm not in the industry, I am not an expert that makes predictions quoted by the media outlets far and wide unlike KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo who seems to always predict the painfully bloody obvious and most likely details about apples new releases and all the media outlets seem to lap it up like newborn babies to a teet..."umm I predict that there will be a new MBP at this event and its going to be a a significant upgrade"
    Holy **** Ming, how do you know this... where are these predictions coming from, does Steve talk to you from the beyond?

We haven't had a MBP update in over a year, we expected one 6 months ago and the MBP hasn't seen a meaningful update in over 4 years, might as well predict the type of fruit the company will use as their logo for 2017 if you want to play it really safe.

2. Macalway macrumors 68020

I think touch strips on the sides would be much better. You would loose the speakers, but thats fixable. Then they would be awesome. Not only that, on the 17" they should have made, those strips could really be huge. And....if your going to go there, throw in the touch bar like they have now, why not? - 3 touch bars

man would that be cool.

(Ok guys, don' be wimps :D )

3. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

I wonder if they will at some point release an external keyboard, with the touch-bar embedded?

It would be stupid expensive I'd have thought (probably circa $500) but I could see some real world applications for it

4. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Down the line. A magic keyboard with touchbar. Pseudo wireless. Like todays wireless keyboard but little taller, maybe a bit thicker to include enough battery for a usefull peroid. 10 hours?, a day, more? Recharged by usc-c. Practically most desktop users will leave it plugged in nearly all the time.

But at what cost. Premium in Macbook Pro is $300, but includes 2 extra usb-c ports and a cpu bump. So what wouuld it have to sell for. For $100-$150 it would seem reasonable. For $300, LOL.

5. littlepud macrumors regular

Taptic Engine integrated into the next touch bar?

6. Pugly macrumors regular

I hope these sort of things, along with touchscreen computers, will eventually converge on a technology that can create ridges and buttons on the touch screen itself. I want tactile feedback on a screen. I think Apple is on the way with the Taptic Engine. But it's not quite ready.

We needed Capacitive touch screens to come about for changes in how we use a computer... it feels like we need another fundamental technology to be developed that allows even better touch interaction. Until that happens it'll be just small changes here and there like touch bar.