Prediction: iTunes Will Set New Download Record on July 11, 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EsquireMac, Jul 9, 2008.

1. EsquireMac macrumors newbie

As of June, 2007, iTunes was serving up 1 million dowloads per day, and had an active user base of 500 million, according to Appleinsider.

I'd be shocked if Apple didn't destroy Mozilla's record of 8 million downloads on July 11, 2008 with iTunes 7.7. :cool:

2. Diaresi macrumors regular

Mozilla's "record" was only really a publicity stunt - there wasn't a record of its type until it!

I'm pretty certain iTunes will have beaten it many times, probably on Christmas Day, when they stopped shipping CDs with iTunes on. The thing is to get the record they need to go through the hassle of getting Guinness World Records to check all the server logs etc. which I doubt Apple can be bothered to do.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, you don't even know what the record is, I guess.

it needs to be a willingly download of the whole package from the official website.

Updater doesn't count, otherwise, nobody can beat microsoft's tuesday patches in any situation

To talk about userbase, iPod has 170million uses world wide (or less), Firefox has 230Million users. How exactly do you think iTunes' update server will serve more than firefox's?

now, read Asa's comment of the record

4. iPhelim macrumors regular

People have more than one computer and not only people with an iPod download iTunes.

5. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

How can they set a record on July 11, if it comes out before?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

7. EsquireMac thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...g_up_1_million_copies_of_itunes_each_day.html

That article quotes figures released at Macworld 2007: 500 million active user base for iTunes, 1 million downloads per day.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It'd be interesting to see what Apple considered a download (did they count updates?)

Also, this isn't an essential download (read: must download it the minute it comes out as opposed to whenever I have software update check) unless you have an iPhone/iPod touch. I don't have the numbers, but its definitely a small percentage of the entire iTunes base.

9. EsquireMac thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, thanks, Clevin, for pointing that out. I wondered whether that was the case...:confused: