Prediction on iPhone 4S Sales

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Anyone want to thrown down and stake a claim here that iPhone 4S will be a dog? I think it will be the highest selling smartphone to date in the U.S. because it will be available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint right off the bat. It seems like there are lots of folks who disagree. If you think it will fail, reply and let us know. I will find this thread in a few months and revive it after we have some data, especially regarding the holiday sales results.

Place your bets, dog or massive profit for Apple. Make your best guess.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

3. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

4. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple will out do the analysts predictions like they do every quarter.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I think it will sell obviously. I don't think it will be a record setter. it's just another dual core phone. Nothing has changed on the outside. Dual core phones have been around since the beginning of the year now so Apple is a little late to plate. I won't be getting one.

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

2 million in first 72 hours it's on sale

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Record sales. Three reasons:

1) 2G/3G/3GS users that held out on iPhone 4
    2) Sprint users
    3) latest (not) greatest chasers

Then my other part says non tech ppl may opt for the less expensive iP4

9. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I think the untapped market of sprint users might be bigger than people think. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of full contract folks on that network. Yes, it is smaller than Verizon and AT&T. But Sprint still has 50 million subscribers in the U.S. Let that sink in. If only 10% upgrade to the iPhone 4S, that alone would get the iPhone 4S to be at least a partial success. Actually, I suspect that just the Sprint iPhone 4S customers will outsell any other specific carrier android phone. Let's see if I'm right. Though for that we will need dependable android sales numbers broken out by phone model, which I don't think we often get.

10. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

15 million through middle of 2012
    5 million iPhone4 8GB through middle of 2012
    1 million iPhone 3GS though middle of 2012

11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

It'll sell well. Because it's an iPhone. More likely though, it will sell well because they added more carriers to their list now.

Frankly, I feel like they're just concentrating on international markets (I wouldn't blame them) than the American market with the iPhone. But let's see.

12. cinger0439 macrumors regular

cinger0439

What lesson exactly does Apple need to learn? How to take more money to the bank?

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

2 and 3 make sense. If 2g/3g/3gs users passed on the 4, why would they want a souped up 4? I'm in this boat.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

3.5 million first weekend. It's a blah update but people will buy anything Apple. I just can't see myself with the same phone another 12+ months. :(

15. Wingscofounder macrumors member

I missed the early adoption date for iPhone 4, since AT&T's formula for upgrade eligibility put me months past its release. I decided to wait until the next release, since my 3gs was hanging in there. So I currently have a 3gs and will definitely upgrade now to the 4s. Looking forward to the retina display and for two working speakers ;).
    As an aside, my 3gs took a bath almost immediately on purchase. Did the rice thing and it has been working flawlessly (except for dying speaker) for over a year and a half. It is time for it to be retired, after serving me extremely well.

16. irDigital0l Guest

Ummm theres only 1 speaker for the iPhone 4...the left one is a mic and the right one is the speaker.

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Of course it's going to be huge in sales.

There are plenty of people that wanted the iPhone 4 but some where on contract and many have various reasons for not upgrading to the 4.

Chatted with a Sprint guy today and their website dropped because of all the people trying to see if they could pre-order.

The 4s represents a best of breed phone. The people on here whining about sending Apple a message aren't even a niche of a niche of a niche. Most consumers want a phone that is easy and fast.

All this 4G and 4" screen nonsense is the lamenting of geeks.

18. Ramio, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The lesson is you have to pay attention to the competition. I know many people who wanted an iphone but ended up with android phones because they had bigger screens. All these people could have been potential apple customers. Also, an increase in the screen size has always beeen the most wanted feature in polls about what is the most important upgrade in the next iphone. The iphone being number 1 now doesn't mean it will be number 1 forever unless they keep up with the competition. There are many examples of very successful companies who stuck to their ways and failed to adapt and ended up tumbling down.

19. Wingscofounder macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. The 3gs also only has 1 speaker. They look alike and I thought that they both were speakers. Now I am even more impressed with my rugged 3gs! I happened to cover the working speaker and didn't hear much from the other and thought it was dying. My bad ;)

20. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

The only thing that can stop it from becoming the best selling smartphone of all time is an early release of the iPhone 5/6.

21. musiciscool macrumors regular

It's an awesome phone, buy ATT won't let us buy it except for charging us more than it would cost to terminate our contracts! So, my bet is on Sprint getting an actual 4g iphone5 that att & Verizon won't have yet.. Ar that point we all go to sprint, and that makes sense to why sprint would go all in on carrying the iPhone.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It definitely won't get any record breaking sales, it'll have great sales because it's an iPhone, but it won't meet the massive targets.

23. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Do even the disappointed folks admit that the iPhone 4Gs will be the best selling smartphone in the U.S. for the rest of the year?

Does anyone think that iPhone 4 will be number two and 3Gs number three? Or do you think a blackberry, Mango or Android will slip into the top three? Maybe the the Nexus Prime.

24. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Yes, how dare they release a superior product!

25. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Reports of massive pre-orders are trickling in. Get your predictions in now. Anyone still out there who thinks iPhone 4S is going to be a flop? Will it flame up but then flame out? You could have massive pre-orders but the phone has to sell at a huge rate for an entire year in order to be a mega hit like the prior iPhones.