Prediction: Wireless charging incoming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulWog, Nov 7, 2016.

1. PaulWog Suspended

Magsafe was a huge selling feature for the Macbook Pro.

Apple releases a new Macbook Pro without that feature, and without an equal or better upgrade to that feature.

They taketh away... so they can then "revolutionize"!!!!

It's an easy new "revolutionary" feature for laptops.

2. Altis macrumors 68020

Fortunately not for a while due to the amount of power the MBP needs to draw, and it would be less useful on a laptop than on a phone or watch.

We'll see it on the iPhone well before the MBP.

3. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I would hazard a guess that the amount of electricity sent wirelessly to charge a laptop battery anywhere near a reasonable amount of time would be dangerous. Let's start with watches and phones, then move to tablets.

4. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

Wireless charging has already been around for a long time. Just not from Apple. I'm not sure how it works, but it's not actual electricity that transfers wirelessly. There's a conversion process at both ends.

Thinner. Lower battery size. No magsafe. Just saying.

5. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i think the "wireless charging" that apple wants isn't putting something on a pad, because there's no point doing that to a laptop. Apple is interested in true wireless, like through wifi or something.

6. Altis macrumors 68020

It's electromagnetic energy. Just because it doesn't conduct electricity through wires doesn't mean it doesn't present electrical hazards.

It's the same idea of what happens inside electrical transformers. The two sides aren't internally physically connected, they are isolated. There are lots of great YouTube videos that illustrate the idea better than I could ever try to explain it.

7. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

I just figure they'll sell a dock for $200 that you can set your Macbook on and get extra ports on that charges wirelessly (sitting on it). Hell, maybe they'll make the dock portable and have its own built in battery as an option, making it essentially a laptop attachment.

And they'll make the Apple Pen work on the trackpads of course.

All slightly unApple, but I'm guessing it's going to happen.