iPad Predictions for 2019 (or 2020?) 10" iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EugW, Jan 13, 2019.

1. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I doubt these new low-cost iPads will use the Pencil 2. The Pencil 2 requires the magnetic connector. That's more costly to manufacture than the current method.

And since the 2018 iPad also supports the Logitech Crayon, there are people who will bypass the Pencil 2 to pay less than half for the Crayon which works well (minus pressure sensitivity)

Same goes for Face ID or "in screen sensor"... those are more expensive to produce than the current home button.

2. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

We'll soon find out! I'll challenge your predictive foolishness to the Randolph and Mortimer Duke bet of $1.

3. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

S

So yea they should use square corners, with the new body.

This is my first time ever owning a tablet, since I purchased the new iPad Pro 3rd gen. But, even I always thought that iPads all looked similar, everyone of them had a home button lol.

So, they should bring that standardized look back even to the non pro models.

All iPads should have no home button. I can’t tell you how much I DONT miss the home button lol. I have an iPhone SE, so it’s nice not having one all together.

4. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Rumor new 10” model will be the budget type model. That mean 2-3 year old Apple components, very limited RAM and cheaply built too. A11 SoC maybe since the A13 will be realeased in September 2019.

5. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I don't think it makes sense for Apple to redesign a chassis for a price-sensitive entry level iPad.

If anything, I can see them moving up to the Air 2 chassis (same as the 9.7 iPad Pro) with laminated display, processor bump, and retaining Pencil 1 support. That's enough of an upgrade over the 2018 model to spark some interest.

6. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I agree.

Most consumers are familiar with the 9.7 inch form factor with Touch ID, and they generally like it. I really never hear complaints from my friends about the bezel. So, to keep costs down, I think Apple will use the current 9.7 in chassis and simply update the processor/RAM to A11 with 3GB. They might start storage at 64 GB. If they increase base storage, the price will start at about $50 higher....say $379. You will be able to use old cases and covers, since the chassis hasn't changed.

They could make it compatible with Apple Pencil 2 by offering a lightning charging dongle with magnetic connector......but I doubt it. Instead, they will probably just lower the price of the old Apple pencil from $100 to $79.

7. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

If the budget iPad gets an A11 and 3GB of RAM, I'll pick one up to replace my Pro 10.5. Tired of the white bezel and the battery life isn't all that great considering its under a year old with under 60 cycles. Battery health is already down to 93%. It also seems to have the touchscreen glitches that many others with the Pro models have reported. My original 10.5 was much better but I had to swap it out under warranty due to a faulty display for a refurbished one.

8. UncleMac macrumors newbie

I’m not going to make any predictions but two things comes to mind wrt design

- Apple is making Pencil an important and integral part of the iPad and the Pencil 1 is a horrible design. Charging it by the lightning connector and having no way to attach it to the iPad makes no sense from a design perspective.
    - FaceID - just because of consistency across all iOS devices.

Besides the obvious spec bump (processor/RAM) - give me Apple Pencil 2, similar design to the 2018 Pro models and reasonable pricing.... TAKE MY MONEY!

9. Davefevs macrumors member

Davefevs

Pencil 1 can be charged by cable, doesn’t have to be stuck in the bottom of the iPad, with fear of snapping off.

10. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

So you basically want one of the new pros at 5/6th gen pricing? That’d be nice but it’d also be the day ;)

Expect nothing to change except a chip bump to A11 and a 7.9” variant and the update will likely even exceed your expectations, have overly high expectations you can almost guarantee disappointment!

11. EugW, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 6:15 AM

EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

DigiTimes: Apple supply chain: Flexible PCB makers plagued by lackluster iPhone sales

Compeq and Unitech are major suppliers of rigid-flex boards for AirPods, and they are expected to enjoy significant revenue increases after Apple releases AirPods 2 later in the first half of 2019.

Meanwhile, Apple is also set to launch new iPad models in the first half of 2019, which is seen as a boon to shipment performances at Taiwan-based flexible PCB suppliers.

---

P.S. Rumour has it that the 2019 iPhones will keep Lightning. So, what do you think the iPad will follow? The iPad Pro with USB-C, or the iPhone with Lightning? I'd prefer the former but wouldn't that bummed if it's the latter since I already have a ton of Lightning devices in the house, along with a ton of Lightning cables in the house.

12. 4ktitanx macrumors newbie

4ktitanx

I need a new Ipad for my kids. hope they go 10"

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I just want an all-screen design with Liquid Retina display and Face ID, but four speakers and USB-C would be great too...

14. PennyThought macrumors newbie

Pretty much what I predict also...this is the entry level ipad geared towards the educational and the low-cost consumer. Keep your expectations low and hope for the best.

BTW, right now Microsoft is running a $50 sale off on the Microsoft Go and $200 off the Pro 6 if anyone is interested.

I'm hearing some encouraging interest on the Microsoft Go...Apple may regret their "slow-feet" response to enchancing iOS enough to break the iPad out of its niche market.

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I personally would happily pay up to $499 for a 10” iPad with all the specs you just laid out. Your predicted iPad lineup looks clean too, except however I think the 9.7” will go away, to be replaced by the new mini 5 at the same price point.