Predictions for MacBook Pro Redesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MetBook, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MetBook macrumors member

My take on the *new* MacBook Pro is that Apple is trying to get as much out of these models as possible. It looks like there isn't much of a shift required in Apple's production line for the MacBook Pro. It's the exact same computer from the outside. Even the trackpad isize is still the same as its always been.

That being said... I'm deciding whether or not to wait for the "redesign" of the MacBook Pro because I hate nothing more than regretting an Apple purchase so I want to maximize my happiness to the fullest.

When do you guys predict it will come out?

- June's WWDC
    - August
    - September
    - November
    - January's Macworld
    - Other

????????

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

3. pitseleh macrumors newbie

redesign

i would guess that the redesign is due towards the end of the year. This case has been around for a while.

4. MetBook thread starter macrumors member

i guess i don't use this site that often however i love the *internet bullies* that try to talk down to others on forums.

how about you expand your comment so that is holds meaning... otherwise save your own time and mine and don't respond at all.

maybe you or someone could tell me why this warrents "you have to be kidding me" type comments.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think that we will see a redesign soon.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

ok, he means that " youve got to be kidding me, there is another newbie starting a thread on the same topic for the 1000th time, before he searched or even looked through the posts"

tag on to another post ( with the same thread) about what you think will happen with the redesign. This topic has been going on for a year now

i say this not to be mean, but to read through carefully before you start a thread. that said we have allll done it before.

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

that is the same prediction of many people 3 yrs ago..
    but hey! nothing wrong with waiting if you don't need it know..
    like, can't wait for the new Ferrari!:D

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Are we seriously doing this already? I think Apple will do away with the MBP altogether because they're going to read on here (and everywhere else, really) how people are never satisfied, and will perpetually be frustrated whenever new machines are released because they're either too expensive or lack features.

Holy run-on sentence!

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yup. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant....

10. mbrydone macrumors regular

but it was a good run on sentance!

11. ghettochild macrumors regular

Seriously, they came out w/ an update today and a bunch of people already ask when the next is coming out.

There'll always be a newer model at some point in the future. If you need one, get it now. It'll be a great laptop for years to come.

Personally, I don't understand why so many people is crying for a redesign. I like the current design and I could care less about possible redesign for a future model.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

My thoughts;

I think this MB and MBP update is an interim update, Apple's hand forced by Intel to adopt 45nm and not ready with their new redesigns which I think will be out around Jun-Aug 08 in time for the new US school year where we will see the real shell updates for both lines.

I also think they are holding off on redesigns for MB and MBP to make sure the Air's release is more successful. If they bought a slightly lighter MB and MBP out now with the same features (MB gets touch pad, MBP gets mag latch and new feet) then Air sales would likely suffer.

So I also expect a new MBA update for WWDC with feature improvements and price drops.

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

My thoughts exactly. :cool:

I actually hope they DON'T change it.

14. MetBook thread starter macrumors member

The reason why I care about when the next update comes is because I'm waiting for the redesign. There is absolutely nothing in the world wrong about that. Say it with me: "It's my money". I love Apple products however I can afford to wait until June or even August if I push myself because for me - its worth it. Your logic makes sense however as you said, its by your own personal opinion. Your logic doesn't apply to me.

$2000 for a computer is quite a hefty price. I want to maximize my happiness by knowing that I will have roughly 3 years with a computer I am perfectly proud of because it will be the latest model and thus I won't be regretting my purchase at any time before the roughly 3-year lifespan comes up.

I love the prestige element of owning an Apple notebook. I truly believe that people see you differently however the only computer I believe in buying is the MacBook Air because it is brand new and the look won't change for some time. The MacBook is old now. Apple has gone metallic and it's "white" days are gone....

...That leaves the MacBook Pro. Already metallic however all signs point to June-August for a redesign. Apple's production line didn't need to change much to get these new processors and multi-touch capabilities however you must remember:

This is the year of the MacBook computer line. Last year was the iPhone and this year Apple is taking the time to come back to the computer with the introduction of the MacBook Air, a redesigned MacBook Pro and potentially a brand new MacBook by January. You can bet that Apple is alreading dipping into it's billions of profit dollars and you'll see the result for the next Macworld. My guess is Plasma screens: a new market, built in AppleTV, wirelessly syncing desktop and notebook screens, etc.

15. TruthSerum44 macrumors newbie

Well I'll actually answer your question, despite everyones objections to the topic.

I don't see a MacBook Pro redesign anytime soon. Honestly, I could see them using this model another 3-4 years, or maybe more. Personally, I view the design as solid...not great but not bad. I don't think it fits well with the rest of the Mac computer lineup, but I don't think Apple cares all that much.

Look at it like this: did we see any even remotely surprising upgrades yesterday? No...and most Mac buyers could care less. Hell, I'd say for the most part Mac buyers are thrilled with yesterday's updates (despite realistically not being all that impressive). They don't care about having a higher resolution on the MacBook Pro (despite it being in nearly every other company's lineup), they don't care about options such as having two hard drives and removing the optical drive, they don't care about having realistic market prices for ram upgrades, and they certainly don't care about MacBook Pro's being more expensive than competing Windows notebooks. I think most Mac buyers are willing to accept just about any hardware Apple puts out due to the fact that OS X is so nice, and aside from Hackintoshes, is unavailable on normal notebooks. So yeah...if you want a MacBook Pro, get one, because we've been talking case redesigns forever!

16. Ignacy macrumors newbie

It's the exact opposite for me!
    I truelly hate showing people my mac because I hate being seen as a "artsy - non scientific minded - brat.
    I used to be a "pc man" and have a deep knowledge of computers and technology.
    Besides the stupid feeling I have when using my mac in public I also hate macs left wing image...

I still love my MBP though, windows is horrible ;)

Will this post be deleted ? :)

17. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Time to change the topic.

When do you think another noob will post another prediction thread?
    - In the next hour
    - Later today
    - Tomorrow morning
    - Tomorrow afternoon
    - Tomorrow evening
    - Other

18. MetBook thread starter macrumors member

Once again, I love the amount of people on here who talk down to the people tha are new to the site. Such a backwards world over the internet.

19. amoda macrumors 6502a

As a "scientifically minded" brat, I'd like to inform you that Macs are all the rage in the science world. Virtually every lab in my University is equipped with Macs. Everyone I know, that is immersed in lab work and whatnot, not just taking science courses, uses a mac.

And this isn't just my University. All the guests I've met from other Universities informed me of the same thing. So yeah...you can be sciencey and have a Mac too! :D

Not being argumentative or anything, just sticking up for my crew :p Fo' shizzy.

Edit: So I should at least say something relating to the topic instead of completely hi-jacking it.

I like the MacBook Pro as it is. I'm not really into "change" really. I fall under the "true and tested" crowd rather than the "change is good" crowd. Two things I really hate and don't want to see incorporated into the MBP:

-Magnetic latch: I just like the feeling of the button. Plus that little light on the button looks better there. If they make it magnetic they'd have to move it to the left side of the case (I'm assuming where the MacBook has it but to the opposite side) and that would look worse!

-MB keyboard: I HATE that gosh darn keyboard! One of the reasons I bought the MBP is because of its keyboard! Blah!

and oh! (double edit), they better keep the disk drive where it is as well as the ports on the side! A while a go I saw how someone wanted them to put the ports on the back of the laptop and that made my blood boil (not really, but it did make me cringe)!

To tell you the truth if they changed the MBP to the way most people on MacRumors want it (MB keyboard, magnetic latch, other stuff) I might not buy it. Just buy a Vaio and BLEEEEEP (can't say due to infringement laws (i believe that's what it's called) but it has something to do with putting a certain OS on hardware it shouldn't be running on).

Other than that I guess even though I don't want change...I can get used to it. I would like a bigger speaker on the 15" though...

20. tip macrumors 6502

tip

General rule of thumb for any forum is to lurk more before posting new threads.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The reason you're taking some heat is because the subject of your thread (the MacBook Pro) was 'redesigned' at 5AM 2/26/2008 and your post came at 8:06PM 2/26/2008. If I have any guarantees it is that Apple is not doing a darn thing related to a MacBook this week.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

But I digress...

Let's see, predictions, I would imagine in lieu of WWDC this June there is an excellent chance we will see a minor aesthetics change on the external of the MBPro.

With the way things are going I would expect Intel will push their Montevina Centrino 2 aggressively enough that Apple will adopt it by July 2008. This will require a Logic Board redesign and likely permit a smaller form factor overall.

On that note: This iteration of the MBPro is gorgeous; 1" height whether a 15" or 17" is brilliant and was (perhaps still is) ahead of its time. I own a C2D 2.33 and performance-wise this computer still hangs.

Perhaps Apple went TOO BIG with the MBPro 2 years back. Place it next to a Dell - Alienware - Gateway - IBM and drink in the relative beauty of the Apple product.

23. johnlvx macrumors member

Metbook, come on. It's called humor. No one here is actually looking down on you (hopefully). It is just funny because this happens all the time. Every time there is a product release, there is immediately a thread called "Official thread for those waiting for the next update". There is a cool factor during those 2 months when you have the coolest thing... but there is also a coolness to getting some serious work done and making some serious cash using a old TiBook or even a Wallstreet powerbook. I LOVE seeing somebody bring in their bazillion year old mac laptop to the apple store, covered in duct tape, saying, "I HAVE to get a new one cause this hunk of junk broke after 8 years"! Just get one and measure the awesomeness of by how messed up looking it can get from overuse while still "just working" the way it is supposed to. If you can type the lettering off your keys in less than 18 months then you rock. (and you can order a new keyboard for it).

From what I understand you are a newbie here.. Welcome! Have fun. You'll get chewed for anything you post here, doesn't matter what. I know first hand.

24. MetBook thread starter macrumors member

my points is people acting superior because they've been on this site the longest or written the most posts... in my books, that makes me superiror (just my opinion)

25. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

The MBP will be updated with Montevina NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Intel will stop producing Santa Rosa when Montevina comes out, Apple will be forced to update. It is a fairly 'big' update with 2x the integrated graphics performance (Macbook), DDR3, 1066 bus, WiMax and other goodies. This will be the platform that gets Apple to totally redesign the MBP. I guarantee it. If Montevina is delivered when predicted (June) we will see the update shortly after, July/August. Montevina will use the same Penryn CPU's with perhaps a FSB increase.