Predictions on Upgrade process for iPhone 2009

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KratosKilla, Jun 7, 2009.

?

Will the upgrade process be be similar to 3g upgrade last year for 3G to iPhone 2009?

1. ATT will make an exception for iphone launch. They wouldn'y alienate Apple fans.

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No, you already got a subsidized handset. You must purchase the 2009 iPhone at a higher price.

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Do you believe Apple will discuss the upgade process from 3G to 2009 iPhone? Will they charge 3G users a fee? What are your predictions?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As noted in the approximately 1000 threads already about this: it's not up to Apple: it's up to your carrier. It may well be different in every single country.

3. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

I'm really hoping AT&T decides to let 3G users upgrade early.

m

4. KratosKilla thread starter macrumors regular

yea

I thought that this would be an interesting topic to dicuss and vote on the eve of the keynote. I really hope for option A but I'd like to know the conscensus from the rest of the board.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wait, i upgraded last year at the same price as everyone else who bought an iphone

6. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Also, this leaves the question- if no subsidized price is available for 3G users, will the 3G users be able to actually buy the 2009 iPhone at a higher price, or will they do what they did last year, and not allow any purchase without signing a new contract.

In other words, will 3G users be able to buy the new iPhone at the higher price??

mark

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Even if I own the original iphone, i still believe people with the 3g will be the folks with 3g will get it at the lower price, iphone folks make att a arm and a leg OF $$.

What will be interesting is if current 3g owners in a 2 year contract will be able to downgrade their data plan to the new $20 data plan with an assumed 250mb limit.

I know I'm defiantly going for the cheaper data plan, I only use 150mb of edge data a month, and I try to be on wi-fi as much as possible, & heck, if I need more data each month I can still upgrade to the unlimited data plan whenever I please.

Still mad that 200 text massages will not be included with it!

8. KratosKilla thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think this 3.5g rumor will cost more for the plan. If i stick at 30 a month will i keep my unlimited data.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well, I tend to think that with the AT&T exclusivity to end in 2010, they might make an exception here to yield a positive response from Apple. In addition, it would put that many more customers under contract through 2011 in case they lose the exclusivity.

I know many say, "but the iPhone 3G is a subsidized phone and like any other phone, you have use it through the contract or pay more for an upgrade."

Here is a good article that really outlines why iPhone is not a normal phone to AT&T.

My bet is that 3G customers will be able to upgrade to the new phone.

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I think they will we are a somewhat special group!

11. KratosKilla thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense. Do you think Schiller or whoever will talk about it at the keynote or do you think it will be a carrier by carrier press release?

12. funrush macrumors regular

These major things are up to Apple. Just like everyone has access to a 3G network, or visual voicemail.

13. ebika macrumors 6502

Special, as in?
    [​IMG]

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

jeez $$$$

15. bjquach macrumors 6502

I could care less if i get an exception or not. I just want to be eligible to just PAY for whatever the price is.

16. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i hope so. if not, i'll be on the phone with AT&T right after asking them upgrade policies... as will a lot more people on the forums.

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

I could see them addressing the issue for U.S. customers since it is their biggest customer base. I would imagine that other carriers would release details at some point.

18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Now take that figure that AT&T makes in profit from iPhone subscribers and subtract the number of iPhone subscribers multiplied by the amount of money AT&T subsidizes for the iPhone.

profits - (iPhone subscribers * subsidy) = lost profits

If AT&T keeps paying for our phones they're negating quite a bit of that profit. iPhone 3G owners will get the next iPhone for more than a new customer or an upgrade eligible customer, but for less than a contract-free iPhone.

19. bjquach macrumors 6502

They will not address upgrade processes for AT&T tomorrow because that means they would have to go through all the carriers in the world and their different upgrade process. This is something that AT&T will come up with on their own after the keynote.

20. gibbz macrumors 68030

No argument here. I think they will make some concessions since exclusivity could end soon, but certainly the large subsidy they paid is something to consider from a business perspective.

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i agree with that. seems logical.

22. CherryJello macrumors regular

Also, let's not forget not everybody who bought an iPhone 3G reads these forums. Many people have no idea they bought a "subsidized" phone, nor what the word "subsidized" means.

So when these people go to upgrade and find out they are gonna have to pay 600 bucks all hell will break loose. It's just not how Apple does things, therefore it won't be how AT&T does things.

23. bjquach macrumors 6502

You are correct. We only represent probably less than 1% of AT&T subscribers.

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    this needs a 3rd option.

I think that 3G users will pay a special price. More than people who are upgrade eligible, but less than everyone else would.

So basically I think There will be some sort of special case allowing these 3G users to upgrade without much problem.

25. KratosKilla thread starter macrumors regular

Charging extra may bring about bad PR for Apple. Apple wouldn't do it to their loyal fans. Who lined up on July 8-11 depending on how dedicated (Crazy) you are.