Predictive keyboard feature

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Armen, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

First off,

This feature is NOT the same as the one that has been on Android phones "forever".

- It will tend to "predict" words you have entered in the custom dictionary. I don't recall the Android phone I had in 2008 doing this. It was more of a general dictionary suggestion. At times it will suggest words that I added to the custom dictionary that's not even in English but is in the current context.

- I like that you can tap the word that is in quotes to add that word to the dictionary as you type.

Any thoughts on this?

Did the Android keyboard back in the day do this?

Also, does the Android keyboard of today even do this?

2. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

The stock keyboard on the Android devices I used (HTC Desire Z and Galaxy S3) doesn't have this feature. I use the physical keyboard on the Desire Z without any fancy auto-correct or text prediction, so I haven't explored much on this phone. I didn't like the Galaxy S3 Samsung keyboard and tried a variety of third party keyboards.

The SwiftKey keyboard is the one that does text prediction the best. It learns from how you type with the keyboard as well as scanning your emails and social media services to learn your typing style. People who use Twitter can really benefit because you have to type using abbreviated words. SwiftKey learns this style and can offer very good prediction for different types of writing.

The iOS text prediction does take things a step further than SwiftKey. It reads the contents of perhaps the message you are responding to and tries to predict an appropriate response. It's like the message you received said, "Thank you," and if you reply, the keyboard may predict "You're welcome." If this is what you would say, you just have to tap on the predicted words instead of typing it out.

Personally, I don't particularly like text prediction. It interrupts the rhythm of my typing because I would have to look to see what the keyboard predicts for my next word. I can then select the word if it predicted correctly. If not, then I just wasted time checking the predicted word. I'd just rather type what I want to type and just check periodically for any typos that the auto-correct did not catch properly.

3. bookalon macrumors newbie

can this feature be turned on/off. Im running iOS8 on 2 test devices and I know it was working on both, but today Ive noticed that its not running on 1 of them. I don't remember turning it off.

any Ideas?

4. kowen14 macrumors member

Same here. It's gone. I didn't change anything

5. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

I'm assuming you've tried swiping up on the grey line at the top of the keyboard to reveal the predictive text? You can also hide it by swiping down.

Also, you can try holding down the smiley face on the keyboard and turn predictive text on/off from there as well.

Attached Files:

6. kowen14 macrumors member

That fixed it. Somehow I turned it off. Thank you

7. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

hold down the smiley on the keyboard. bottom option turns it on and off. You must have swiped down on the box to turn it off by accident.

8. dannyyankou, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Predictive keyboard feature

Predictive typing works really well.

[​IMG]

9. JoaoF macrumors member

That smiley face doesn't appear on my keyboard :confused::confused:

10. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

settings > keyboards > add keyboard > emoji

11. bookalon macrumors newbie

Perfect I d know That, thank you

12. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

The feature is still a little wonky. Those who notice it gone all of a sudden aren't doing anything wrong. I've seen it on several occasions just go away in the middle of my typing. I wasn't aware of the on/off option in the keyboard button but the swiping to bring it back is really inconsistent.