Predictive Typing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fivedots, Sep 12, 2014.

1. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I'm curious: how much utility are you finding in the new predictive keyboard/typing? From my experience, if you are even half competent with the iOS keyboard, it's nothing but a distraction. Predictions just aren't great or not conjugated or pluralized correctly for the context. Animations delay the words showing up. Overall just slowing me down.

Also extremely disappointed that it's looking like there will be no way to access iOS' native dictation when using third party keyboards. This will prevent me from jumping over to Swype or similar as I had planned.

Your thoughts?

2. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well these were my complains at first to, when I downloaded the swift key app. But I guess I'm gonna give QuickType (or swift key) a chance, because I think with a little training, to not look what you actually type, but rather what it offers you could actually speed up things a lot.

3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I type faster than they appear. I disabled the feature.

4. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

The appeal of Swiftkey for me on Android (prior to Swiftkey Flow) was that it was better and translating my haphazard button smashes without proper spaces into what I wanted to say than the stock keyboard (or at least felt closer to iOS to me, which I was used to), so I mostly ignored the predictions. The iOS keyboard is already quite good at that, so I am less inclined to look elsewhere for standard typing.

Same here. And even when typing slowly or one handed I am finding little to no value in it.

5. saudor macrumors 6502

same. i might just downgrade my iPod and iPhone.. (especially with SMS relay being delayed).. and just keep my iPad on 8 for iCloud Drive and improved safari

Im also too fast for quick type. and even if i type slow.. the words i want don't even come up even though i've practically typed in most of the word

6. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Ditto... I tried to use it, but found it distracting.

7. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps it needs to behave a bit differently. I think the biggest challenge is that it requires you to look in three places at once: the keys, the suggestions, and the text field. Maybe if the best suggestion appeared highlighted after the cursor and could be accepted just by hitting space? Then you'd only be looking in one place. I am vaguely remembering one of the Android keyboards working this way.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Distracting.

I'm trying to tough it out.... but im having to fight hard, the urge to disable it.

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

That's right auto correction works so great. My brother (who has to use a Blackberry with a hardware keyboard) didn't believe me when I said I can type blindly on my iPhone. I showed him: One Error, a point turned out to be a comma, in a fairly long sentence.
    I surely didn't hit every key right, but I don't have to.

But that leads me to my point: It could be possible to look at the predictions. I'll see in a few days... ;)
    Bummer that it seems to be too slow.. :(

10. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I'm enjoying having predictive text, and find myself tweeting a little more just to play with it!

11. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it actually improving your speed or are you just enjoying stringing together random phrases?

12. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Same.

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

It is improving my speed, I think; and I want to give it a chance to see if it really does learn better with time, which it seems to do.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, can't figure out how to use it.

If I'm typing a word its very possible for 9 different suggestions to flash by. So then I have to read and think about which one I want? That takes way longer than it takes to just finish typing the word.

And even ignoring the timing, reading 9 words for every one word I type really disrupts my train of thought. It's hard to stay on point when you have so many W We What Wo Would Works Wie Wording words zipping through your B&H but bring be brand brain.

15. chugg macrumors regular

I mostly use it to pick the correct autocorrect rather than to predict the next word. I hate how much screen space it takes up though. In landscape view, I literally see ONE line of text.

16. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

At least you have the option to turn it off, if you choose.

----------

If this is your first exposure to something like this, as it is mine, I can only say that it's basically something your mind learns to process, and it will quicker and quicker. It's basically like learning anything else new, really.

17. dojoman macrumors 65816

It's been available for Android for years and yet it's been useless.

18. Jest3r macrumors regular

I'm sure everyone is aware but you can swipe the predictive text bar down to hide it. :)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've been able to reply to a few messages purely using the predictive suggestions to construct sentences. Sometimes it's quick--if sentences are directly related to the previous message that was received and are not too complex using regular words--, other times not so much. Overall I end up hiding it and just using regular typing with regular auto-correct (even though it's still not as good as it used to be in pre iOS 7 days).