prefer tiger over leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jnguyen4, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Who on here actually prefers tiger over leopard? So far I think I do. I know that leopard has Time Machine and what not, but i don't even use it. I'd rather use Carbon Copy Cloner. Its even Bootable, and Leopard isn't. It seems like Leopard has a little lag on opening web pages and isn't as smooth. Does anyone else agree?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well id say to me i like them both, and Leopard is growing on me.
    Coming from someone who runs 2 systems with Tiger as the main OS and has bootable copies of leopard for each machine. and one machine that runs Leopard primarily.

I opted to keep my Tiger installs on each machine as there is some software that seems to run alittle bit better under that platform, but not by much (mainly CS2 and Macromedia Studio etc); they all run fine under Leopard but alittle bit more solid under Tiger.

The whole Time Machine option, is great and useful.
    The one machine I run Leopard solely on uses it as an incremental back up process; that way incase i happened to remove something or quite a bit of data or items ican snatch em up right away without cloning that system state.
    With Tiger it was alot more trickier to do, aside from having to reimage from a clone or a backup.
    I still clone my Leopard primary OS, but Time Machine helps me keep the marginal minimal files.
    And to try it out to see how well Time Machine structured data, I did a complete reinstall off a blank drive of Leoprd and said to load from Time Machine and there I was, back and running from where i previously left off.

I say stick with what works for you, but try to do what you do in Tiger and match that with Leopard.

For me everything seems to be running much smoother under Leopard.
    An old PowerMac G5 1.8 Single ihad that only contained OS 10.2.7 or something like that ran amazingly well with leopard installed.

Some of my favorite features are being able to file transfer between networked macs much more conveniently as my network has a few up and running most of the day i may need to get data to and from eachmachine and its been flawless so far.

Mightneed to give it some more time, its definitely a change and I still enjoy both OS' no doubt. but its definitely a great OS from my personal experience.

:p

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nope, much prefer Leopard over Tiger. It's not just the prominent features like Time Machine, it's the small features for me like Preview's new photo editing and PDF tools, I no longer have to waste time and money on Adobe's crap.
    Out of the box Quicklook lets me view Excel spreadsheets without paying for Microsoft's overpriced Office suite.
    The enhanced Spotlight features like calculator and dictionary increase the speed of my productivity.
    The icon previews give me more leverage around the Finder.
    Leopard saves me money on unnecessary software and increases my productivity and my apps launch faster than they did on Tiger. There's no lag for me.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

+1 for those as well.

and i think thats what makes Leopard even more fantastic is the smaller features and functionality that excels it immensely, and you become more adapted to the OS environment, its definitely a easy-to-use native OS.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I started to really like Leopard only after 10.5.3 was released. Prior to that, I was like you: I preferred Tiger. Like you, I don't use Time Machine, because I had some problems with it for one, and secondly, because I prefer to use SuperDuper! (similar to Carbon Copy Cloner). I really like how Stacks now behave.

To sum up, Leopard has grown on me. But, I would still be very happy if the only I could afford was Tiger. For now, I "have no choice." My MacBook was replaced under AppleCare, and the one they sent me came with Leopard.

There is one think I don't like, be it with Tiger or Leopard. They don't handle Flash videos as well as Windows. Flash videos/animations on OS X are very CPU-intensive. For now, whenever I visit a web site with heavy flash animations, I use Camino with Flash animations disabled by default.

--
    Patrick