Preference for Series 3 Edition

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Manatee, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

if Apple does a new high-price "Edition" version of the Series 3 watch, what would you like it to be?

I really like the ceramic Series 2 Edition, but I didn't buy it because I thing about the first-year depreciation of a non-upgradable electronic device. Once the feature set is out of date, it really only has value to collectors.

Still, the white ceramic was pretty tempting.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think Ceramic is a nice start for the Editon model. I would like to see expanded colors, more so in black Ceramic to keep it refreshed. The white ceramic color didn't appeal to me as much with how stark the white color was.

4. sevoneone macrumors 6502

I could see them doing ceramic in more colors, black, grey, product(red).

Other light "hard" metals like Titanium or Tungsten would be interesting. Both are pretty brittle, but Ive and his team are all about metalergy and creating new alloys so it could happen...

They could also go crazy and dig up a meteorite and make a limited run from that. Volcanic ash? Moon Rocks?

My real money is on Carbon Fiber or some sort exotic composite adapted from aerospace that is super light and strong.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Titanium isn't hard or brittle and is commonly used for making watch cases and bracelets and Tungsten is also quite heavy, with a similar density to gold.

6. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Yes titanium is very lightweight and strong however it scratches very easily. Would need to be coated with something strong which somewhat negates choosing the titanium in the first place.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's exactly what Apple do with their aluminium watches. I've got a couple of titanium watches, the Citizen Super Titanium one is very durable and a lot more scratch resistant than my stainless steel Apple Watch.

8. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Correct. My point here is that just using titanium by itself is not a solution. Anyone remember the titanium powerbook back in 2001? It had a coat of paint on it as well.

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Wasn't there some newly configured high tech metal that Apple acquired a few years ago and we thought we'd see it in products? Seems like it was offered in some small scale on some product??

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Do you mean Liquidmetal? Apple used it to make the SIM tool for the iPhone and there were rumours about it being used in the hinges in one of the MacBooks.

They would probably face a legal battle if they tried to use it for the Apple Watch because while Apple have licensed it for use in consumer electronics, the Swatch Group have exclusive rights to use it in watches and many models in their Omega range already contain Liquidmetal components.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Oh I always assumed that ceramic was gonna stick around for a while (maybe even adding black as some suggested), but I kind of like the idea of Apple changing the material every year. I have no idea how practical it would be, but I think tungsten would be cool.

12. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

If they don't make band clasps and attaching features in matching colors then it won't matter; I'm going stainless this time around unless they start having more bands with color matched hardware. I hate not matching.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Whilst not an Edition (at least price wise) the stainless steel Apple Watch series 3 may well come in Blush Gold like the rumoured iPhone 7s/8 colour. On the dummy models the stainless steel frame is coloured gold so perhaps we will see this addition to the Watch lineup too. So the stainless steel models could be: regular, blush gold and space black. Time will tell.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I mentioned while ago, I would like a blush Gold stainless or a brushed Rose Gold stainless Watch. I know I may be a minority here, but I would greatly welcome new casing stainless colors. I would really like to see a brushed space gray stainless as well.

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I remember you saying this and I secretly agreed. I don’t see now “if” they can create gold coloured stainless steel surrounds for the new iPhone why they don’t add to the watch lineup too. I’m sure it will be well received as the only alternative is gold plating...

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I do recall that now. New stainless casing options or colors I think would be a significant boost to the stainless Watch market, Aside from the steep price point.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Plus the cash people spend on gold plating - which can be hundreds of dollars/pounds will all belong to Apple as they eliminate them from the market.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

True. And some of those companies completing the Gold posting were having issues later on with the finish fading.