Preference for Spaces or Virtuedesktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ls10flpanyc, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ls10flpanyc macrumors newbie

So I am trying out Spaces to decided whether or not I like the concept. I read about another program Virtuedesktop. I just wanted to find out from people here if they regularly use either, and if anyone has used both, do people seem to prefer one to the other? Thanks.

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Spaces is slick.

I catch myself trying to use it on my Windows box and I get depressed.

It was really nice during finals week because I could have a spreadsheet in one space, instructions in another, email/browser in yet another and I could fly between them instead of using everything in a windowed format.

3. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

It's easier to drag and drop windows from one space to another in Spaces, plus it's Apple-Made so it integrates better, Virtue was just what they had before spaces, in Tiger. No need for it now really.

4. one1 macrumors 65816

I disagree that spaces integrates better simply because virtue is SO EASY to use and flawless, plus it can be combined with 3-d desktop to create a better experience than spaces IMO.

I vote for virtue. You can use the shadowbook program for books with light sensors to switch desktops in virtue also since it has a sensor trigger option.

5. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Spaces is pretty cool, I have 6 spaces and use each one for Mail, XP window, iphoto, itunes, a spare one and then a main working one for finder usage and web browsing.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Spaces FTW. if you have Leopard why would you use another virtual desktop app? once you start to you spaces youll never know what youd do with out it.

one tip i use to make spaces better for me is to make the finder, system preferences, quicktime player and adium open in every space.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

virtue takes the cake for me. Requires a tad less involvement to use than spaces

8. ls10flpanyc thread starter macrumors newbie

So far I am loving spaces, it really does help keep me easily organized between Mail, Safari, iTunes, iChat (the programs I am using most right now), and then anything else I need. When I return to school next week, I can see this being invaluable because I usually have complaints, other case documents, and articles to download and read, notes from classes to type/review, and outlines of my classes to create from combining all of my class materials together. Thank you Apple!

I think I am just going to keep Spaces and not even download Virtuedesktop to try. Interesting that people seem split between the two.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I no longer use virtual desktops, but if I did I would likely use Virtue. Spaces has a nicer UI, but Virtue lets me change desktops with a hit to my MB. The light sensor can also be used with a MBP btw.

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry forgot to say a useful tip that worked for me was to have spaces activated by mouse button 3 on your mighty mouse, makes choosing spaces speedy as hell :)

11. dctx6 macrumors newbie

u can hit to change spaces too ;)

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Don't want to sound rude but i doubt you will get a reply to this have alook under pychofreak's user name