"Preference Sync client" eating RAM, crashing randomly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flore, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Flore macrumors regular

Hey all

I am running 10.5.4 now, did iTunes 7.7 update and the MobileMe update.

However, the problem occured before all that, I think it first occured after my first .mac sync on this machine (Macbook 2.16, 2GB Ram)

What is happening now is that sometimes a process called Preference Sync client eats all my RAM (up to 1GB real and 2GB virtual) and crashes randomly.

I can't tell what could be the reason for this...?

Maybe anyone has an idea.
    I tried permissions and restart etc. Always occurs again.

Thanks ;)

2. Flore thread starter macrumors regular

Ok this is becoming a serious issue for me and I don't know what to do.

Can anyone check how much RAM the processes

PreferenceSyncCl and dotmacsyncclient occupy when you sync with mobileMe?

The preference sync client still crashes in addition to both of these processes taking up 1GB and 700MB RAM each..

One more update:

I turned off the synchronization for the preferences in the mobileme settings, and now the 'preference sync client' problem is gone, however dotmacsyncclient process eats 140% of the CPU..

Pleeeease... :(

3. frankly macrumors 6502a

frankly

I'm not sure about the RAM but I've noticed it sucking up my processor power every so often. My MBP usually runs very quietly with the fans only coming on when I'm performing a lot at once. However, I seem to hear my fans spin up every 15 minutes or so now. I'm going to try to track the actual time interval tomorrow.

4. birdog macrumors newbie

birdog

preference sync client hogging CPU

hi there,

I have a macbook pro 2.4 GHz with 2GB ram. I just did a clean reinstall of my iphone updated to version 3, reset the sync history, and set up Mobile Me to automatically sync.

I did this 2 days ago and ever since then I've had a persistent problem with Preference Sync Client. It takes on average about 100% CPU, and my MBP's fans end up running very high. The process doesn't quit either.

Restarting or putting the mbp to sleep doesn't help - as soon as I login again, preference sync client ramps right up within minutes. The only solution I've found is to quit the process using Activity Monitor. I've also set MM to manual sync.

This is really annoying - any one have any ideas about this?

thanks in advance.

5. birdog macrumors newbie

birdog

workaround solution for preferences sync cpu hogging

It seems really obvious now, but I went into Mobile Me system prefs in the sync menu and deselected "Preferences" (it's at the bottom of the list) and the problem went away.

I don't what preferences Mobile Me syncs, but I suspect it's not going to be a big problem keeping this particular sync feature turned off.