Preference: Windows Vista or Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gahideg, Jul 15, 2010.

1. gahideg macrumors newbie

Just curious which OS we all prefer. Using WinVista Ultimate and am considering moving to Win7 on my MBPro17. Lately have been experiencing occasional boot-up problems in Vista and was wondering if Win7 would alleviate or exacerbate this.
    Thanks

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 is exponentially better and much more stable than Windows Vista.

I'm making this confession on a MAC message board....

I like using Windows 7 more than OSX more than 50% of the time I'm on the computer!

3. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Ewww... Vista... Yucky.
    If you have the money to spend to justify the upgrade then yes.

4. gahideg thread starter macrumors newbie

Any issues with Win7 and the BootCamp drivers? Especially the video drivers?

See title

5. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues.... I have a 2010 13" MBP.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Windows 7 all the way. Don't know why but I just like it more. It uses more of a dock style seen in the Mac OS and I prefer it a lot more to the standard style seen on XP and Vista.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

A real true Mac fanatic here, and I'd use Windows 7 all the way. It's really a breathtaking experience compared to Windows XP, and an OS really able to compete with Mac OSX and beat it aesthetically in some instances.

8. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

Sorry to tell ya, but it doesn't. Windows aesthetics are horrible, not even close to the elegancy that Mac OS X offers.

Back to topic, I prefer...well...the one I can barely stand of those, has to be Windows 7.

9. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

1. Increase speed. In Windows 7, unlike all previous versions of Windows, not increased demands on the hardware options of the computer for normal work of the OS. And on similar equipment, in my opinion, it is much faster than Vista.
    2. Decreased the number of little important programs. Microsoft has significantly reduced the volume, which takes on the Windows 7. For example Windows Live Writer, Microsoft's blogging tool.
    3. Net, more organized interface. Windows 7 easier to perceive the eye than Vista.
    4. Section "Devices and Printers". Windows 7 has added a new way to see what devices are connected to your computer (and your computer it may consider such a device). Open the window devices and printers can now be through the Start / devices and printers (by default on the right, below the Control Panel).
    5. Stability of work. Windows 7 is more stable when running the OS than Vista. At the outset, the oC Vista, a dangerous propensity to failure of the computer, until the release of the first service pack.

I would not recommend anyone to use the operating system Vista.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

64-Bit Windows 7 is what Vista should have been from the start. It's more straightforward to use than Vista, faster, more robust and reliable. From the usability perspective, it's --almost-- on par with OS X. If it had that killer feature called QuickLook, it would be there.

However, when we're talking about elegance or aesthetics (and ease of use), I think that Ubuntu 10.04 easily kills Windows 7 and it's dangerously close to OS X.

Should the day come that I live OS X behind, it's successor will be an Open Source platform.

11. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

In elegance or aesthetics in the first place I put Kubuntu 10.04.
    It really looks nice. I would say much better than Windows 7.

Solidarity with your choice. Now I use Ubuntu 10.04. Unmatched system.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Agreed, Windows 7 is WAY better.

There are a lot of things I like about Win7:
    • Tells the user exactly what's holding up the shutdown process if it takes longer than 15 seconds to log out
    • No more system tray clutter, it's collapsed by default now
    • New taskbar is a boon to productivity

14. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I generally preferred running Vista in boot camp. I've not run either on an actual Windows machine :).

Windows Explorer is much cleaner in Vista, with the sidebar a lot more useful along the lines of OS X's. There are no ridiculous 'Libraries' and nothing else clogging up the sidebar either.

I also never noticed Vista turning off Aero when launching an app. 7's superbar has a lot going for it, including features I would like to see in the OS X Dock. However, it also includes annoyances - you have to click twice to bring an app to the front because of the preview windows. These also make everything else transparent for whatever reason unless you turn those settings off.

And I know some people like them, but the snap and shake features I find just bizarre.

When I was running Vista 64 I came to like it more than OS X in many ways; that hasn't happened with 7.

15. aki macrumors 6502a

Interesting how everyone has a slightly different point of view.

For myself, Windows just doesn't compete with OSX. I guess when I say that, I'm talking about "the whole package" and not just the UI, but still.

Having said that, I liked Vista32 a lot when I used it; and Windows 7 I think is a genuinely good OS. I'm never going to choose it over OSX - it still has a registry and stuff like that :eek: - but I would definitely choose Win7 over Vista or XP, no question.

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Win 7 is definitely superior to Vista. It has a bit more complete of a look to it, is much more stable, and is not nearly the memory hog that vista is. At idle, my roommate's computer running vista would use nearly 2 gigs out his 4 gigs o' ram. I have 7 ultimate, and it uses about 650 megs at idle. That's a pretty significant difference.

All that aside, I still prefer OS X, but that basically goes without saying on these forums :D

17. vistadude macrumors 65816

I liked the speed of windows 7, but the graphics/gui of vista.

Also vista had windows calendar which could sync to gmail calendar, but there's nothing like this in windows 7 or windows live.

18. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I prefer Windows 7 over every other operating system at the moment. Turn the window colour to white and crank the transparency up, and it looks pretty too. Not quite as pretty as Mac OS X, but still, it's attractive and makes computing pleasant.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Naw, definitely Windows 7 in some regards. Take the Firefox Beta for example, it's smoking on Windows 7.

Agreed on all counts.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My experience was the same. Under Vista 64, my gaming machine was using about 2GB. After upgrading to Win7 64 bit, it's around 1-1.25GB. Vista just also felt sluggish when I would try to do normal tasks. That stupid spinning circle was always popping up.

(Forgot to hit multiquote before posting)

Anyway, I agree. I already had a Mini and a Win7 machine sitting at my desk when I decided to load Ubuntu 10.04 on an old, generic P4 box I had. Wow, I was greatly impressed. I have been a supporter of Linux for years, but not too much of a user. This version is the first one that comes close to OSX for me. For years, I always said OSX was what Unix/Linux should look like. Well, Ubuntu 10.04 is right there with it.