Preferred email service for Mac users?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richard13, Mar 3, 2009.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I'm still pretty new to the Mac world and I was wondering if there was a de facto e-mail service that Mac users prefer (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, etc.). Or do people have their own domains?

I'm kinda surprised that Apple doesn't have their own service like this.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up Mail, MobileMe, iChat etc.

Thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple does have their own email service? Its part of mobileme

you get a @mac.com account

Personally i use Gmail, i like it because everyone knows the extension so i dont have to bother spelling it, plus it doesnt sound pervy like hotmail, i get an eyebrow from non tech savvy people when give them my hotmail account address. I also love Gmail for its speed, fast uploading times, fast sending times, ease of use, gmail chat, free gmail drive 8GB online network storage facilities, the fact its free, and also that i was one of the first people to get an invite (yes, you used to have to be invited!!) so i got a cool adress :cool::D

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's @me.com now. ;)

Assuming you don't want to pay through the nose for simple email services, Gmail is probably the way to go.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Seconded (thirded) for Gmail. You can use it with Apple's "Mail" program, too.

5. dingguhlbary macrumors newbie

Gmail has to be the best. It's free, fast, and you can get a nice notification application for your toolbar on top of your OS. Good stuff

PS, I was also one of the first to be invited. It felt good, and I thought I was so cool.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Or you could just configure Mail to download your email for you... :rolleyes:

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

gmail for me too.

i was also one of the people to get an invite early on so i get @gmail.com, instead of @googlemail.com (i think thats how it roles now anyway)

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

It's only googlemail in the UK and Germany I think, in most other countries the service is still called gmail.
    And I agree with Gmail being the best choice, it's free and fast and has the best interface in my oppinion. Also I don't really see how the choice of an email service has anything to do with what OS you use.

9. macgrl macrumors 65816

I use gmail apps email for my own domain name. It is very good and uses imap with apple mail. I live in the uk and got a gmail address before they changed it from gmail to googlemail, however I believe that if you use gmail instead of googlemail when sending mail it will get to the same account.

10. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to everyone who replied. After talking to a coworker today he said he believed that Yahoo charges for SMTP access so that combined with seemingly everyone using Gmail I thought I'd give them a try.

Some points:

Yes, I should have looked more closely at Mobile Me before I said anything. I think they give you a me.com account. I'll check that out soon as I am still eligible for the free 60 day trial.

Sure, I see how some people outside the US might think the hotmail name is "pervy" but I've never thought about it that way. I am currently not using my Live.com account due to the unavailability of SMTP access in the US.

No, OS has nothing to do with e-mail services. I was merely asking if Mac users had a preference because they seem more closely knit than PC users and might have a special preference to one service over the other.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Hotmail/live.com now has SMTP access in the US, as well as several other countries. For full details about which countries have it, as well as the settings you need to use in your mail client of choice, here's a blog post from the Hotmail team.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have to give another vote for Gmail. I like the IMAP service, and the Gmail labs have been on a roll lately, with lots of new features.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

like the ability to have a sweet Ninja theme on your Gmail :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I like that, but I am still holding out for the Pirate theme for my Gmail. :D

Oh no, another front in the pirate vs. ninja war!

15. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read the previous blog entry where the US was not included. However, I re-read the linked content and was able to get live.com e-mail to work via POP/SMTP with the Mac Mail application. Thanks for the post!

16. stu3ufc macrumors member

i just use hotmail

its pointless paying for email service when you can get an account for free

thats if ur a casual user and not a business

17. yoppie macrumors 6502a

18. omeletpants macrumors regular

Don't you get tons of spam on the gmail account? I get nothing on mobile.me

19. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution